Top 5 Best Indie Horror Movies

Top 5 Best Indie Horror Movies

Indie horror movies that all horror fans should be watching.

28
Top 5 Best Indie Horror Movies
IndieWire

For independent horror movies, it's always hit or miss. Here are my personal top picks for Indie Horror, so enjoy and check them out when you can! Each one comes with their Rotten Tomato score!

1. "The Monster"

Director: Bryan Bertino RT: 78%

This movie came out just this year, and I must say, the story was phenomenal. For an indie movie, "The Monster" was certainly able to create something unique and well-acted, and the monster design was surprisingly impressive. What stood out the most in this movie was the relationship between the mother (Zoe Kazan) and daughter (Ella Ballentine). It gives a fairly realistic representation of what life is like for a young girl with a single mother who simply can't seem to get herself back on two feet. Bryan Bertino was the same mind behind the film "The Strangers", though I must say that his recent project far outshines the 2008 slasher flick, which scored a fair 48% on Rotten Tomatoes (47% on Metacritic).

2. "Ginger Snaps"

Director: John Fawcett RT: 89%

"Ginger Snaps" was my obsession when I first started getting into horror films and is the reason I respect all things independent in the entertainment industry. Though the creature design was notably low budget, this Canadian cult-teen horror movie was the perfect brew of adolescence and terror, with just a dash of pure insanity. There aren't too many werewolf movies out there that I give my undying love to, since many of them are beginning to venture into the realm of teen romance (that is, besides the Underworld franchise), yet "Ginger Snaps" offers viewers the gory monsters that we all adore, with a bit of a teenage twist: angst. It also helps that the only relationship that we have to worry about here is the bond between two sisters. He currently has his hands in the BBC sci-fi show "Orphan Black", which scored a dazzling 92% on Rotten Tomatoes.

3. "The Babadook"

Director: Jennifer Kent RT: 98%

This movie hit the ground running when it was released in 2014. If you haven't seen it yet, then you must have been living under a rock when it comes to indie horror. As one who is personally fearful of creepy movements and spine-tingling audio, this movie had me shivering under my covers until the early morning. Not only did "The Babadook" provide some great scares, but the film had an actual premise and storyline, something that not many horror films today are able to communicate. Rather than thriving on cheap thrills, "The Babadook" reaches into the mind and soul of the viewers, making it highly impressive and simply terrifying. Though she doesn't have much of a history in directing, Kent is known for her performances in "Babe: A Pig in the City" and "Murder Call".

4. "It Follows"

Director: David Robert Mitchell RT: 97%

If you're into the creeps than "It Follows" is going to throw you into a craze. The entire story is based on jitters, as the main character is slowly and forever followed by It, a mysterious being that is passed on like a disease through sexual activity. What made it so unique for its time was how simple the plot was; many other horror films released within the past few years make it their goal to create an elaborate, elongated storyline with fast, sharp scares in order to give the audience a good jerk or two. "It Follows" went along with only a few key rules, and the movie is absolutely spectacular because of it. It's creepy, eerie, and just flat out sinister, leaving you right at the edge of your seat with your nails bit down to a nub. The director has also found success in the coming-of-age film "The Myth Of The American Dream", which scored a solid 81% on Rotten Tomatoes.

5. "Oculus"

Director: Mike Flanagan RT: 73%

For such a good movie, I'm shocked that it hadn't at least scored a 85% on the Tomatometer. "Oculus" is an indie film that relies on paranoia and psychological twists, which adds a cool vibe to the storyline of a demonic mirror. Some of it is, of course, a bit cheesy, but the back and forth between the past and present truly blurs the line between reality and insanity. The final moments were certainly cruel and shocking to watch unwind. Mike Flanagan himself is practically a rising star of indie horror, directing movies such as "Absentia" (RT: 75%) and the recent "Ouiji: Origins of Evil" (RT: 82%).

If you guys would like me to review more movies, perhaps make some other lists or do full-fledged rants, let me know. Otherwise, have fun on your binge night and remember...don't be afraid of the dark.