Top 20 Halloween Movies

Top 20 Halloween Movies

These are the must-watch flicks for this fall season.

127
Top 20 Halloween Movies

One of my favorite months of the year has arrived: October. It's sort of symbolic in the way that the temperature slowly begins to drop and the air starts to feel more crisp. It's as if we're waiting for something to arrive ... Halloween, duh. Other than the pumpkin carving and the spooky home decorations, I've gotta admit that I'm a sucker for the films that play during this time. Whether they're scary (my personal favorite) or just the festive ones that get you in the Halloweeny mood, they make you feel some type of way. So as you swap your swimsuits for cozy cardigans and your lemonades for pumpkin-spiced lattes, here are my top choices for your Halloween movie marathon this season:

1. "Hocus Pocus"

This timeless classic, about an ancient group of witches who are summoned by a group of teenagers on Halloween night, is a childhood favorite. From the kooky personalities to the catchy "I Put a Spell On You" number, this film is a must-watch when it comes to the Halloween tradition.

2. "Halloween" (1978)

Despite the numerous sequels and remakes of this popular film, you can't go wrong with John Carpenter's original "Halloween."Jamie Lee Curtis stars in her debut role as Laurie Strode, an innocent teenage girl who is stalked by an asylum escapee killer, named Michael Myers. The film's scare tactics and notorious theme song will satisfy your cheesy horror movie craving.

3. "The Nightmare Before Christmas"

Best thing about this movie? It works as a Halloween movie as well as a Christmas movie. This 1995 film is about Jack Skellington, the "Pumpkin King" of Halloweentown, who grows tired of the same old traditions. Upon discovering Christmastown, he challenges himself to become the new Santa Claus. The film's catchy soundtrack and creativity will have you watching more than once.

4."The Strangers"

If you're into movies that will keep you at the edge of your seat, then "The Strangers" is the perfect fit. A young couple is mysteriously stalked in their vacation cottage by three masked strangers. Several unpredictable scenes will definitely have you catching your breath.

5. "Corpse Bride"

It doesn't get any more Halloween than Tim Burton's stop-motion animated film "Corpse Bride." Johnny Depp voices the character of Victor, a man who is set to marry Emily. However, as he takes a trip into the forest one evening to practice his vows, he encounters a dead bride who claims he must marry her. Following this encounter, she takes him with her to the Land of the Dead.

6. "Insidious"

This horror film sets itself aside from the usual horror movie plots. Despite the fact that it is unpredictable, the storyline is taken to another level. A young couple's son falls into a coma after falling from a ladder, therefore taking his soul into "astrospace." As strange events continue to occur to the family, they hire a paranormal expert to bring their son back.

7. "Halloweentown"

If you're a '90s kid, you'll definitely appreciate this Disney Channel original movie. After Marnie Cromwell discovers that her grandmother is a witch, she sneaks onto the Halloweentown bus and makes it to this magical place dedicated to all-thing Halloween. Let's be honest, after watching this film you're a tad bit sad a world like this doesn't actually exist.

8. "The Babadook"

In this critically-acclaimed film, a widow and her young tormented son are faced with an evil entity that refuses disappear after reading an ancient storybook. The storyline will keep you on edge, following an interesting plot twist towards the end.

9. "Beetlejuice"

Tim Burton's spooky comedy about a ghost couple, trying to claim their old home from its new inhabitants, lets you appreciate Burton's imagination and creativity. Michael Keaton's performance as Beetlejuice is also an unforgettable experience.

10. "The Ring"

If you've never seen this psychological horror film, be prepared to feel slightly paranoid whenever you encounter static televisions and mysterious phone calls.

11. "Coraline"

This creative stop-motion film involves a young girl named Coraline, who encounters a parallel universe through a small door in her room. It seems harmless at first but as she progresses through this other universe, she discovers everything isn't as it seems.

12. "The Conjuring"

"The Conjuring" is probably one of my current favorite horror movies. If you're into haunted house-type films, you'll definitely wanna check this out. Set in the 1970s, a family is haunted by a malevolent spirit. This film is perfect for those who enjoy paranormal horror, minus the typical cheesiness.

13. "Edward Scissorhands"

Tim Burton's brilliant film about an artificial man taken in by a loving family, will warm your hearts. Because he was unfinished, due to his inventor's unfortunate death, poor Edward is left with scissors for hands. The film follows his life with his new family, his sensation around the neighborhood, and his love for the family's eldest daughter.

14. "Dead Silence"

Dead Silence falls under my super scary movie category, so if you have a phobia of dolls and/or clowns, I suggest you invite a friend or two over to cuddle with during this haunting storyline.

15. "The Shining"

This all time classic film, originating from the famous Stephen King novel, involves a writer and his wife and son who travel to a remote hotel. During their winter stay, the son develops psychic abilities that allows him to witness supernatural apparitions while his father is influenced by them, which ultimately make him turn against his family.

16. "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" (2003)

After watching this stereotypical horror film, the sound of a chainsaw will never sound the same again. This one is for you, gore fans.

17. "Orphan"

This psychological thriller involved a young couple who adopt a strange girl named Esther after the death of their unborn child. After the occurrence of several strange events, Esther isn't who she seems to be ...

18. "Annabelle"

Serving as a spin-off story to the doll introduced in "The Conjuring," Annabelle tells the story of a haunted doll that is acquired by a young expecting couple. Much different from a cheesy doll movie such as "Child's Play" (no offense, Chucky), this well-made film will make it hard for you to uncover your eyes.

19. "Scream"

If you're looking for the absolute classic slasher horror movie, then this is the film for you. It doesn't get any better than a bunch of clueless teens being terrorized by a masked killer.

20. "It Follows"

This film follows a young girl who is haunted by a spirit after a sexual encounter. However, no one can see the spirit but her and she has to continue to run away before it catches up to her. Despite its intriguing storyline and ingenious cinematography, it has a retro feel to it as well as a compelling soundtrack.