15 Non-Disney Animated Films Everyone Needs To See

A list of fifteen animated heavy-hitters.

571
Forbes

When we typically think of great animation, our minds go to the fine innovators and imaginative engineers of Walt Disney Animation. Indeed, few animation projects hold the prestige and the skill of Disney’s creators, especially the man the studio is named after. Yet, there do exist those rare animation gems that are not a property of Disney; testaments to the ability and heart of non-Disney studios. This list honors some of the greatest works of those studios; without further ado, here are my top 15 non-Disney films of all time!

15. "Corpse Bride" (2005)

While Tim Burton’s animated exploits are outnumbered by his live-action works, this film, in particular, shines as one of the strongest of all his films. His signature German Expressionist-like cinematography and aesthetic breathe life into the world of “Corpse Bride,” putting a neat spin on things by portraying the world of the living as static and dull and the world of the dead as vibrant and lively. The story is captivating, its somber and ponderous qualities drawing the viewer in with ease. Possessing the classic tragedy and romance present in films like “Edward Scissorhands,” “Corpse Bride” serves as a great example of Burton’s strengths regarding darker, subtler storytelling and impressive visuals.

14. "Wallace and Gromit: The Curse of The Were-Rabbit" (2005)

I never said all of the films on this list had to be complex. In fact, “The Curse of The Were-Rabbit”--an Oscar winner, if you can believe it--takes its simplicity in stride, using its premise to tell a charming, witty and heartfelt tale. What it lacks in complexity it more than makes up for in its good-natured humor and morals, both of which possess a level of genuineness that some animated films nowadays lack. For those of you looking for pure kids’ fare animation, give “Curse of The Were-Rabbit” a shot. It’s not the deepest thing you’ll ever see, but it’s enjoyable for kids and adults in the vein of the best Disney films.

13. "How To Train Your Dragon" (2010)

“How To Train Your Dragon” takes a familiar concept and makes it its own. While the tale of an outcast pairing up with another outcast isn’t necessarily revolutionary, the film uses its societal and political commentary, along with a memorable setting and likeable characters, to make the story feel new again. Aside from that, DreamWorks puts on display some of the finest animation it has ever produced, with sweeping, large vistas that give scale and spectacle to the story as well as immerse us in Norse culture. Human, heartwarming, and overall fantastic, “How To Train Your Dragon” is an animated masterwork from DreamWorks.

12. "Kung Fu Panda 2" (2011)

“Kung Fu Panda 2” is a sequel that surprised me both visually and narratively. It presents to audiences a more serious, grounded narrative than the first that cleverly expands upon what that first film set up. There’s a feeling of personal urgency that drives the plot forward and keeps things interesting so as to not have the film degenerate into nothing but jokes and action, both of which it handles flawlessly, mind you. It’s certainly more visually striking than its predecessor, what with the varied locations and the distinct character designs, especially of antagonist Lord Shen. Overall, “Kung Fu Panda 2” is a roundhouse kick of awesomeness.

11. "The Prince of Egypt" (1998)

Adapting stories from the Bible has always been a challenge for Hollywood. How do you portray things? What do you say? How do you frame the story cinematically? “The Prince of Egypt” is able to overcome these challenges. Boldly adapting the Book of Exodus, “The Prince of Egypt” drips with cinematic appeal and animated strokes of genius everywhere you look. Characters are life-like in their appearances and movements, backgrounds feel real and three-dimensional--it’s almost like somebody just drew Cecil B. DeMile’s “The Ten Commandments,” making sure to keep in all of the emotional appeal of that film. And appeal this film does, as it perfectly captures the essence of the uplifting story of Moses and the Hebrews.

10. "Shrek" (2001)

Inverting familiar setups is something we’re used to seeing nowadays, and it’s something that “Shrek” does right. With its subtly satirical and thoughtful humor and dialogue, it manages to charm viewers young and old with a story that’s not quite like the fairy tales Mom and Dad used to tell you--in fact, it openly criticizes fairy tales every chance it gets. Animation-wise, it still holds up pretty well, despite the fact that CGI wasn’t at the level of detail that it is now. As one can tell from the robust, original and now iconic animation style alone, “Shrek” is its own thing, and it makes its presence known with finesse.

9. "ParaNorman" (2012)

Studio Laika may not have the biggest filmography ever, but I’d be lying if I said they were a bunch of amateurs. “ParaNorman” certainly can attest to that; the film shows creativity in all aspects. The story calls to mind the likes of “Monster House” and “The Goonies,” giving us a candid picture of childhood and how that comes into conflict with adulthood. Moreover, there’s some really relevant and gripping social commentary about outcasts, bigotry and coming together. The stop-motion animation employed in the film is also of note; each character is lovingly crafted, full of detail, and so very distinct from one another that it’d be impossible to confuse them. Funny, endearing and thoughtful, “ParaNorman” is a scary good time from beginning to end.

8. "Princess Mononoke" (1997)

Director Hayao Miyazaki is known for helming animation projects that are grand, boisterous and exhilarating. “Princess Mononoke” fulfills that requirement to a T, even just on its story alone. Centering on a prince cursed to die by a mystical animal and a war between nature and man, “Princess Mononoke” feels like an action-adventure epic similar to those of Ang Lee or Akira Kurosawa. Every frame looks like it could be framed in a painting; even at its most violent and intense, “Princess Mononoke” manages to be beautiful and sweeping. Additionally, its story is powerful and emotional, addressing environmental and gender topics tastefully and with conciseness.

7. "The Lego Movie" (2014)

Everything is awesome in this sleeper hit. What seems an unassuming children’s film based on a beloved toy is really a thought-provoking, beautifully animated adventure. I love how the film tackles the issue of creativity, specifically the folly of trying to suppress it and the recognition that it lives within all of us. The animation style is vibrant, colorful, and energetic, somehow maintaining the limited motion of the Lego toys while also providing much in the way of action and adventure. I have to say that out of all the films on this list, this one was the biggest surprise--and it was a pleasant one.

6. "Fantastic Mr. Fox" (2009)

Director Wes Anderson is known for his quirky, unconventional films that feel eccentric and intriguing; what’s really intriguing is how he stepped away from his usual fare to do this animated adaptation of a Roald Dahl book. Though the book and film share the same name and characters, it is the execution that is different; Anderson’s direction brings the story to life in his signature off-beat, humorous, human way, and it is wonderful all throughout. In terms of animation, the Buster Keaton-like cinematography of Anderson’s live-action works blends seamlessly with the anthropomorphized animal characters, crafted beautifully with stop motion figures and animation.

5. "Your Name" (2016)

Few animated films can claim to be as inspired and original as this masterfully crafted anime film. Gorgeous visuals and an interesting story bolster this animated achievement, which pushes the anime medium to its limits and takes full advantage of its many characteristics and conventions. Most people typically stick to Western animation because it’s the most familiar to them; I would argue that “Your Name” is a fantastic reason to get outside of that comfort zone. In so many ways, with no pretentiousness or arrogance, with nothing but pure heart and dedication, it strives to show what anime can do that Western animation does not. It’s stunning, it’s different, it’s emotional, heartfelt, and positively infectious--and it’s one of the best-animated films you’ll ever see.

4. "Ghost In The Shell" (1995)

Just as we in America have “Blade Runner” and “The Terminator,” Japan has the likes of “Ghost In The Shell.” This anime masterpiece is a sophisticated, philosophically-charged cyberpunk thriller that I honestly had to sit down and mentally digest after watching. The dialogue, the characters, and especially the animation and cinematography say so much in so little time about the advancement of technology, how technology affects man, and where mankind is ultimately going as a species. Director Mamoru Oshii certainly struck gold with this one, as it continues to endure through the ages with legions of fans and people who just want to dissect the very dense context of the plot.

3. "Kubo and The Two Strings" (2016)

Laika almost took home an Oscar with this one, and rightly so. What I got out of “Kubo” was not only the most top-notch stop-motion work since “The Nightmare Before Christmas,” but a story that is simultaneously surreal and realistic. Especially during the film’s first fifteen to twenty minutes, it’s ridiculously easy to see the love that Laika has put into the film’s uniquely Japanese visual style and language. So much is communicated to the viewer using what you see in addition to the things you hear, and that’s not only important for a good animated film, but vital to the film’s fairy tale-like. If you haven’t seen this yet for any reason, then why are you waiting? Get on it.

2. "Spirited Away" (2001)

What can be said about this Hayao Miyazaki classic that has not already been touched on? Possessing a staggering level of detail and activity in each frame, a multi-faceted story, three-dimensional characters, and some of the most memorable images ever put to screen, “Spirited Away” is a strange, beautiful and endlessly creative animated film. When we talk about good anime, it is quite simply impossible not to mention this landmark film for its unconventional aesthetic and narrative approaches. Truly, this exemplifies the creativity and the distinctness of Japanese animators from the animators of our own country, and it is a journey worth embarking on again and again just to see what new things you can learn from it.

1. "The Iron Giant" (1999)

Brad Bird’s “The Iron Giant” perfectly encapsulates all of the reasons why I love animation as a medium. The film takes advantage of detail, movement, and scale to create a believable world and set of characters, including the titular alien Giant. Its story still amazes me to this day with how layered it is. On one front, it is a story of acceptance; on another, a story of trying to get past cultural and ethnic boundaries; and on yet another still, a commentary on the futility of war and the danger of paranoia. In its simple plot it contains so much complexity, expressed deftly through its visuals and its well-written, well-acted characters. While it may not be a Disney film, “The Iron Giant” is certainly shoulder-to-shoulder with the best of Disney and stands tall as one of the greatest cinematic works of all time.