15 Of The Most Anticipated Films Of 2018

Want to get hyped about the movies coming out next year? Here are fifteen of them to get you started.

169
Wikipedia

Believe it or not, 2017 is coming to a close. A solid year in cinematic art is wrapping up ("Get Out" and "Logan" were a couple standouts for me) as we begin to head into award season. This is also the time of year where studios release trailers for some of the most anticipated films of the upcoming year. For the purposes of this list, I will lay down my list of some of the most anticipated films of 2018. All of these films have been confirmed for release next year. There is obviously no guarantee that these films will be great or appeal to everyone. Most of these films are also major studio productions, so you likely won't see many indie films on this list as advertising is generally limited for independent studios to begin with.

So, without further ado, here are the top 15 most anticipated films of 2018.

1. "Avengers: Infinity War"

Is there any doubt that this wasn't going to make the list? With nearly one billion views on YouTube at the time of me writing this list, Marvel fans around the world are talking about the "Infinity War" trailer. I remember how epic I thought it was when the first Avengers film came out. Getting to see some of the biggest names in comic book history teaming up to take down an other-worldly foe was, as middle school me would put it, "totally cool!" I now have the same feeling as before, but on a much grander scale.

2. "Black Panther"

As you can probably already tell, there are going to be quite a few Marvel movies on this list. The studio saw big success with "Logan," "Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol. 2" and "Thor: Ragnorok" this year. 2018, however, will be the year of Marvel and this "Black Panther" trailer solidifies that. This is my most anticipated Marvel film of the upcoming year.

3. "Ready Player One"

When this film was first announced a couple years back, I was interested. The premise seemed cool and I'll watch just about anything that Spielberg makes. In preparation for the March 30th release date, I started listening to the audio book (which is worth the listen just to hear Wil Wheaton give one of the best voice performances of his life). While there are some aspects that I absolutely love about the book and some that get on my nerves a bit, this film, nonetheless, should be nothing short of fascinating.

4. "Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom"

"Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom" is the next chapter of the "Jurassic World" series and looks to be a fun ride, just like its predecessor.

5. "Solo: A Star Wars Story"

Han Solo, one of the most iconic characters in the "Star Wars" universe, is getting his own origin film. As a huge Star Wars nerd (yes, expect a "Last Jedi" review coming from me soon), I am hyped for this Solo spin-off. For one, its going to be stylized as a Space Western (I first fell in love with the genre after watching "Cowboy Bebop"), which will be a nice change of pace from the typical Space Opera set-up. Also, the casting looks great; most notably Woody Harrelson as Hans' mentor and Donald Glover as young Lando Calrissian.

6. "The Incredibles 2"

After nearly fourteen years of waiting, we will finally have a sequel to arguably one of the greatest superhero films of all time, "The Incredibles." Brad Bird has returned to directorial duties and everyone from the main cast is reprising their roles from the first film. If you need a break from the onslaught of Marvel films that will be hitting theaters this upcoming year, this will be the movie to turn to.

7. "Deadpool 2"

If the series of seemingly random teaser trailers are any indication, "Deadpool 2" will be just as gut-busting (by that, I mean hilarious and gory) as the first film. This role has also solidified Ryan Reynolds as one of the greatest internet trolls of all time.

8. "Venom"

"Venom" looks to be a promising origin story for the Marvel villian. "Zombieland" director Ruben Fleischer is set to direct with Tom Hardy starring as Eddie Brock/Venom.

9. "The New Mutants"

Out of all of the comic book movies on this list, "The New Mutants" seems to be the freshest as it blends the standard superhero flick with a frightening horror story. If this film turns out to be a success, expect to see more diversity in the types of comic book movies we see in the future.

10. "Rampage"

Okay, so video game films don't have the best track record. Still, "Rampage" was an arcade favorite of mine and this movie looks pretty epic. I am not expecting a lot of critical praise, but it should be a lot of fun nonetheless.

11. "The Predator"

I am not sure how I feel about a "Predator" remake, but I do like some of director Shane Black's previous work ("Kiss Kiss Bang Bang" and "The Nice Guys"), so I'm hopeful.

12. "Pacific Rim: Uprising"

The first film was a giant mech vs. giant monster showdown of epic proportions. If the sequel can live up to that same energy, this will be a fun ride.

13. "Wreck-It Ralph 2"

Witness your favorite "bad-guy" who's not such a bad guy break the internet (if Ajit Pai doesn't get to it first). Net neutrality jokes aside, if this is any bit as charming as the first film, it is definitely worth a viewing.

14. "Early Man"

Alright, so maybe the hype for this movie isn't widespread, but I'm pumped. "Chicken Run" and "Wallace and Gromit: Curse of Were-Rabbit" were two films that defined my childhood and developed my appreciation for stop-motion animation. Aardman is one of the best animation studios in existence (just behind Pixar and Studio Ghibli) and this film shouldn't disappoint.

15. "Isle of Dogs"

Speaking of stop-motion animation, Wes Anderson ("Fantastic Mr. Fox" "Moonrise Kingdom") is at it again with another strange yet heart-felt looking film. I cannot get enough of this trailer either. It is absolutely oozing with personality!

What do you think? Are there any films that you are dying to see that I didn't list? Let me know in the comments below.