Top 10 Things About Going Home For Thanksgiving

There's more too look forward to than just Turkey

129

Now that Halloween is over, everyone has shifted their focus to the holidays coming up. While people always get excited at the thought of Christmas, let us not forget the important holiday that comes first: Thanksgiving! A time full of turkey, pies, and maybe some family debates over dinner, Thanksgiving is definitely one of the best holidays.

While some people dread the traveling and the preparations, us college kids see this holiday a little differently. What used to be just two days off of school is now a much desired break and a chance to come home for the better part of a week. If you're anything like me, you're basically counting down the days until Thanksgiving break. There is so much to look forward to, but here are the top ten things about going home for this holiday.

1. Getting to spend time with your family

There is nothing better than getting time with your family. This was something you probably took for granted before you came to college but now you cherish it. Even just sitting in the same room as everyone puts you at ease. Being that it is the holidays, there is an opportunity to see extended family as well as your parents and siblings. Thanksgiving is a time for everyone to get together and for college students, that’s exactly what we need at this point in the semester.

2. Seeing your friends from home

You may not have seen these friends in person since you left for school in August. Of course, you’ve kept in touch with them through texting, phone calls, and video chatting, but you still miss them like crazy. You’ve been counting down the days in the group chat until you’ll all be reunited. You have so many things you want to do together. While Thanksgiving break is short, it’s a great time to catch up with everyone. It may feel like a tease, but it’s enough to tide you over until winter break a few weeks later.

3. Homemade meals

Nothing tastes better than your first homemade meal after coming back from school. It wasn’t until you were eating dining hall food every day that you realized how lucky you were to have your parents to cook for you when you’re home. During Thanksgiving, you’ll be surrounded by comfort foods such as mashed potatoes, pumpkin pie, and warm apple cider. You’ll eat way too much, but you won’t even feel a little bit sorry about it because you don’t get this kind of cooking every day.

4. Getting to use your own shower

Whether or not you need to wear shower shoes at school, showering in your own house is sure to be a relief. There is just something about the temperature and water pressure at home that’s just right. In the privacy of your own bathroom, no one will be around to judge your off-key singing. It feels like slipping back into an old routine and you’ll probably feel cleaner afterwards than you’ve felt all semester.

5. Sleeping in your own bed

Similar to getting to use your own shower is finally being able to sleep in your own bed. Sliding under the covers for the first time feels like bundling up inside a cloud. The sheets smell clean and wrap around you like a hug. You’ll wake up the next morning feeling well rested for the first time in months and it will be a struggle to leave the comfort of bed. But luckily, you can probably afford to spend some more time lying in your bigger-than-twin-XL bed since you’re on break.

6. A few days off of class

I think what most people are really looking forward to is a break from classes. Finals will be fast approaching as soon as we return from break, but it’s nice to have a chance to recharge before that. The semester goes by quickly in the beginning, but by Thanksgiving it seems to be dragging. Everyone is a little tired so a few days back home is the perfect way to get people’s focus back on school when return for the last few weeks.

7. Getting to do all the things you haven't had time to do at school

Our responsibilities at school get put on the back burner when we’re home. Rather than obsessing over our schedules and how much we have to get done, this is a time focus on other things. Whether you’ve been meaning to start a new book or desperately need to get your nails done, the break might be a good time to start checking those things off your list. You’ll have ample time to watch that Netflix documentary your dad keeps recommending or to buy your best friend a birthday gift. It’s the ideal time to accomplish all the things you’re just a little too busy to do at school.

8. Watching football

I really enjoy watching football, college especially, so I’m excited any weekend I get to come home and watch as many games as possible. If you feel the same way, this break will be great for you. There is no holiday with more opportunities to watch football than Thanksgiving. With three highly anticipated NFL games on Thanksgiving day, you’ll never be without entertainment.

9. Going shopping

It’s not Thanksgiving break without a little bit of shopping! Black Friday, the day after Thanksgiving, is known for its deals and inducing crazy behavior, but if competing with crowds of people all day long is not your thing (it’s not exactly mine either), you can still have a chance to shop over the weekend. Maybe you need a new coat for the winter or just want to buy a few new shirts to bring to school. It could also be a good time to pick up some Christmas gifts! Whatever it is that you’re looking for, take the opportunity to go pick up anything you need while your home. You can even ask your mom or one of your friends to tag along.

10. Being reminded of how lucky you are

Everyone has something to feel blessed about and this is the perfect time of the year to count those blessing. Thank the important people in your life for being there for you. Remember all the times when you were lucky or things worked out in your favorite. Use this time of the year to make a conscious decision to focus on the positives in life rather than the negatives. I can almost guarantee it will improve your mood and the good attitude will come in handy as you finish the last few weeks of the semester.

Only a few more weeks until Thanksgiving break finally comes around! So until then , keep studying hard and dreaming of that turkey. It will come soon enough!