10 Things You Must Do Over Thanksgiving

10 Things You Must Do Over Thanksgiving

There is more to do than just eat turkey and pie.

122
10 Things You Must Do Over Thanksgiving

Now that Halloween is over, it seems as though every department store and shop has shifted their focus to Christmas. College kids, however, can't help but count down the days until Thanksgiving. We get to go home for an extended period of time and have an opportunity to refresh our minds and bodies before finals kick into full gear. With excitement increasing until the big day we can go home, here are the top 10 things to do over Thanksgiving break!

1. Sleep In

After staying up until 3 a.m., finishing papers, and pulling all-nighters for never-ending midterms, don't feel guilty about sleeping in. Thanksgiving break is exactly what the name implies -- a break! Sleeping in will make you feel rejuvenated and like a new person.

2. Have a Leftover Party with Friends

Thanksgiving break goes on past Thanksgiving! What more is there to do? Why not enjoy some Thanksgiving leftovers with some of your closest friends from back in high school? Not only will you be getting rid of the mammoth supply of food leftover from Thanksgiving dinner, but you will get to catch up with some amazing people.

3. Go Black Friday Shopping

Grab your best friend and tackle those deals! Nothing makes you forget about that calculus final more than retail therapy. With you and your best bud at your side, you are sure to beat everyone else to the sales. Plus, it is super fun to make a strategy the week before so that the excitement builds up. Walk out of the mall as the queens of Black Friday!

4. Spend a Day with Your Parents

Your parents have missed you and, let's face it, you have definitely missed them. As much as your friends want to get together and spend every waking second of the break joined at the hip, save a whole day for your parents. They love you and miss you! Surprise them with a reservation at their favorite restaurant or plan an at-home movie marathon. Whatever you decide to do, it will be a day to remember.

5. Have a Christmas Movie Marathon

Gather some friends and some lattes, and watch those iconic Christmas movies! Christmas movies begin playing nonstop on TV after Thanksgiving day. Reminisce with some buddies and start of the holiday season right with some Christmas magic. From laughing to crying, Christmas movies are usually a roller-coaster ride of emotions, and what better way to kick off the season than with making a fool of yourself in front of close friends.

6. Take a Bath

In college, you don't really have a choice between showers and baths in those community bathrooms. Showers are great and all, but baths can be so relaxing and rejuvenating! Grab a bath bomb and a playlist of soothing music, and soak your worries away.

7. Read a Book

Reading used to be my favorite past time in elementary and middle school. There was something so magical about picking up a good book and getting lost in another person's world. But when high school and college came into the picture, time to spend reading became scarcer and scarcer. Now that it is Thanksgiving Break, there is now time to pick up a book and just read!

8. Make Homemade Meals

I know that the Chipotle down the street from your house that you always used to go to in high school is tempting. But after months of college cafeteria food, doesn't some homemade mac and cheese sound killer? Run down to the grocery store, grab some ingredients, and cook! Not only is it healthier than what you have been eating in school, it is much tastier too!

9. Make Christmas Decorations

Christmas decorations are expensive. As a college student, you always walk by the holiday section and look at the cute decorations in every store, but walk away as soon as you see the price. Now that you are home and have some extra time you don't normally have, pull out the construction paper and some scissors and get crafty! You will have some unique decorations for your dorm and your roommate is sure to love them too!

10. Be Thankful

Thanksgiving is more than the turkey and the stuffing. Be thankful for all that you have! Even though midterms were miserable and you didn't do as well on that political science paper as you had hoped, you are blessed to be receiving an education. You have wonderful friends and family, so smile and remember how awesome being you is!

I hope this list gave you some fun ideas for your break! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!