Top 10 Reasons PBS Is Not A Boring Station

Quality television for free!

334
PBS

We live in a world surrounded by technological choices. These choices allow us to select the best from the crowd of gadgets or services. Why, then, are we not accessing PBS for the best in programming? While watching one of my favorite programs “Dr. Blake Mysteries" as a marathon activity, I wondered how many people know about the excellent programs and writing work in the programs offered for free?

I started to think about the top 10 reasons I have chosen to watch the PBS station and its variety of programs. The following is my personal list:

1. No commercials to interrupt a program multiple times and my train of thought for the storyline

2. Solid, meaningful dialogue between the characters

3. Well-developed characters I can get to know

4. Superb writing

5. Stories that are interesting, intellectual, stimulating and memorable

6. Actual content, not contrived

7. The story unfolds much like a book without explicitness and with imagination

8. Endings are not always perfect, neat or tidy; it's unrealistic to always have a perfect ending

9. Strong acting talent and strong character representation

10. Not plagued by the glitter and fakeness of Hollywood

Besides my list of reasons why I enjoy watching PBS more than the regular channels, here is a list of programs that have caught my attention. They pull me back for more every day. Above, I mentioned the “Dr. Blake Mysteries." It is one of many mystery programs I have found by really looking at what PBS programming offers everyone and not only children. Let me provide a list of besties that I have been giving a real chance.

1. Mercy Street

This program is set during the Civil War in Alexandria, Virginia. This is a southern rebel state, so the city is controlled by the Union Army. Each character must make a choice about the War and take a stand. Among the main characters includes a rich business owner deeply vested in keeping the southern way of living. Each of his children are making their own choice of what is most important during this turbulent upheaval in their daily lives. One daughter has chosen to help with the wounded in a Union hospital against her family's wishes. The story is a continuous unfolding of the characters' development as the war progresses.

2. Victoria on Masterpiece

According to PBS, this show is set in 1837 and is centered on "a diminutive and neglected teenager" as she is crowned queen. The show is full of political scandals, corruptions and follows Queen Victoria's rise to power. The intriguing part is the dynamic of various family relationships as each individual fights for royal power.

3. Sherlock Holmes on Masterpiece

This program is a more recent version of Sherlock Holmes and his sidekick, Dr. John Watson. They team up to solve crimes in bustling London. Sherlock is portrayed as a genius-savant with extremely quirky social skills. The episodes are 90 minutes of intrigue, humor and modern theatrics.

4. Shetland

Shetland is an island off of Scotland that is sparsely populated but seems to have lots of crimes to solve. Jamie Perez is the chief detective in this series with a "dog-with-a-bone" tendency to solve the mystery and catch the criminal(s). The fun part for the viewer is mastering the Scottish brogue. Once you get used to the accent, the complex and witty dialogue pulls you into the story. The series is based upon books written by Ann Cleeves, a mystery author.

5. Father Brown

Fr. Brown is the essence of the stereotype of a nosey housewife. Though his main role is pastor of the local church, his personal interest lies with solving crimes. The police are not thrilled with his incessant meddling, yet they are in a sense relieved his expertise helps to solve the mystery. A lovable and affable character, his curiosity is essential to the story. This show is based on the short stories by GK Chesterton.

6. A Place to Call Home

Australia is the home of Sarah, a nurse who has lived in Europe for the past two decades. She returns, after the sorrows suffered during WWII in France, to a quieter and safer life to be renewed. Twists and turns in the character's relationships have you talking to the television, cheering on characters who survive the sinister behavior of the Antagonists. A drama that is worth watching.

7. Call the Midwife

This show, based on Jennifer Worth's memoirs, follows the lively stories of midwives during the 1950s in London's East End. I caught this series after its first season. It is enticing, exciting and easy to love after getting to know all of the characters. It gives us a glimpse of an occupation that was as important as a physician. The midwife was the medical connection for the middle and lower classes of London. They showed compassion and respect for a class of citizens unable to pay for regular medical care.

8. Home Fires

This series is one I found just recently. It is set in pre-war England and revolves around a group of women who have formed the Women's Institute in a small village outside of London. The show demonstrates the strengths of women through its characters. We get a glimpse into their personal lives and rivalries. I am getting to know these characters and look forward to additional episodes.

What I am suggesting is check out PBS in your state and area. You may be very surprised at the volume and level of programs available for entertainment. If fluff is all you want, then the basic stations may fill your plate. But, if substance is what you crave, PBS is the best of the best! Why not reward yourself for a change and view the best? Here is a link to PBS in Wisconsin if you dare to be curious.

My reasoning for the switch to this amazing station is the redundant programming on the normal channels we watch. The programs are quite formulaic and seem to have dumbed down to what they believe the audience can understand. To me, that is an insult. We grow as individuals from stimulation and extension of our intellect. Much like going to the gym to stretch our muscles, PBS is the gym for our brains. It is not a Brainiac station, but it is one that stretches our imaginations by offering stimulating content whether fictional, historical or revolving around current events. One can enjoy a program through its entirety without the annoying interruptions called commercials for products we really are not interested in purchasing. We have been told to stretch our bodies, stretch our souls, so why not stretch our brains and bring healthy programming to intellect? It is GMO-free, gluten-free and pesticide-free. Take time to see what your life is missing without putting a dent in your wallet. PBS is all about you!