The Top 10 Oscar Best Picture Winners You Need To See

From Moonlight to Wings, the list seems endless, so I've narrowed it down to some of the greatest of the greats.

25
austintexas.gov

The warm weather has finally arrived, and as fun as it is to lay out and enjoy the sunshine, sometimes the heat's just too much. Staying inside with a good movie can be the perfect way to beat the heat for an hour or two and if you aren'y going to soak up the sun, you must as well watching something worthwhile.

The best way to do that is pick from 1 of the many Oscar winning ones. This year marked the 89th Academy Awards. That's 89 different Best Picture winners, 89 different amazing movies that you can choose from for your day indoors. It's a pretty daunting number, and believe me, some are better than others, so to help you out, this is a list of ten of the greatest past winners that you should take the time to watch if you haven't already.

1. Braveheart

If only to hear the well known and often referenced speech made by Mel Gibson's character William Wallace, Braveheart makes the list. The story, the accents, the scenery and of course, the epic battle scenes are what make it so good.

2. Titanic

Not much more needs to be said than the fact that Leonardo is the main character. Sure, the movie is on the lengthy side, but that just means more scenes of Jack and Rose. It’s definitely a chick flick and guaranteed to make you cry, two things that make it worth at least one watch.

3. A Beautiful Mind

Everyone loves a movie based on a true story. It tends to be sad at times, and even a little confusing, but when you're made aware of the reality that is the main character, John Nash's life, you'll realize why this is an Oscar winners. With Russell Crowe playing the lead, it's an easy choice.

4. The Sound of Music

I’ve watched this one sixteen, going on seventeen times and the number is sure to grow. If not for the fact that this movie is a classic, sit down to see this for the music. Julie Andrews’ many solos are like no other and it's pretty hard to resist singing along to Do Re Mi.

6. Shakespeare In Love

It's definitely a lot of romance, so guys beware, but it's so much better than watching another version of Romeo and Juliet. Gwyneth Paltrow is equally as entertaining to watch whether dressed as herself or pretending to be a man. This rom com tells the story of how Shakespeare came to write his most famous play of all, Romeo and Juliet.

7. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

This is one you hear talked about all the time. It can be a bit strange at times, and as much as it's a serious film, you will find yourself laughing throughout the movie. The characters, apart from Nurse Ratched, are impossible not to like, and the ending will definitely leave you feeling all the feels.

8. West Side Story

This is another film you should watch purely for the music. Not everyone loves musicals, and sure it can be cheesy at times, but the actual story is worth sitting through the fights between gangs that mostly consist of choreographed dane routines. The costumes, the music, and the fact that it stars gorgeous Natalie Wood mean it's not one to skip.

9. 12 Years A Slave

Ok, so it's a tearjerker but the story, especially because it's true, will keep you interested the entire 2 hours and 15 minutes. The struggles of the main character as well as those faced by Lupita Nyong'o's character are heartbreaking, but it only makes you want to keep watching to see if they finally get justice.

10. Forrest Gump

This really needs no description. To say you haven't seen this film is like saying you've never tried ice cream. Though it's on the longer side, the story is funny and serious, happy and sad all at the same time. Tom Hanks makes the character of Forrest seem so real and you will be pulling for him and Jenny from the first few minutes.

If only to not feel clueless in conversations when people reference movies you’ve never seen, taking the time to watch these just might be worth your time. It's doubtful any one of these will disappoint, so pull up Netflix, Amazon Prime, or whatever else fits your liking and prepare to watch hours and hours of great movies. Finally you can stop getting met with that same face whenever someone hears you’ve never seen the Titanic because you actually have.