Top 10 Musicals from the 2000s

Top 10 Musicals from the 2000s

There have been some pretty great musicals since the year 2000!

982
Top 10 Musicals from the 2000s
The Huffington Post

Although it is no golden age, the 2000s have seen some great musicals so far. Many people would say that this is a very weak time for musical theater. I would definitely disagree and say that this is a very strong era for the musical, even with the occasional flop or strange show. Here is my top 10 best musicals of the 2000s.

Disclaimer: This is just my personal list it was not put together by someone who is familiar with every single show that has come out since 2000.

10. Monty Python’s Spamalot

Who would have thought that a musical based on a Monty Python movie would do so well? Who would have guessed it would win the 2005 Tony Award for Best Musical? Spamalot is based on Monty Python and the Holy Grail. It brought the original Monty Python humor and combined it with everything great about musical theater. Plus the original cast included Hank Azaria and Tim Curry. What could be better than that?

9. Avenue Q

Avenue Q is often described as Sesame Street meets South Park. This musical comedy features puppets with visible puppeteers coping with the realization that their lives are not as special as they once thought. The show won the 2004 Tony Award for Best Musical.

8. Wicked

Wicked is arguably one of the most iconic and well known shows released in the 2000s. Based on the novel Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West, this show follows the untold story of the wicked witch from The Wizard of Oz. The songs from Wicked are some of the most well-known and overdone songs from any show ever.

7. The Producers

Based on the Mel Brooks film of the same name, The Producers follows two theatrical producers who decide to create a Broadway flop and get rich off of it. Unfortunately for them, the show becomes a hit. The Producers won the 2001 Tony Award for Best Musical.

6. Hamilton

I am not part of the Hamilton Craze. I do not think it is the greatest piece of work ever created. That being said, I can appreciate it for what it is and I do acknowledge the insanely positive reception it has received. Hamilton is a hip hop musical focusing on the life of Alexander Hamilton. It has become a worldwide phenomenon and tickets are nearly impossible to get.It is definitely one of a kind. Hamilton won the 2016 Tony Award for Best Musical. It also won the 2016 Pulitzer Prize for Drama, making it only the ninth musical in history to win this award.

5. Aladdin

Based on the Disney film of the same name, Aladdin follows the story of a young “street rat” who finds a magic lamp and uses his three wishes to try and win the heart of the princess. It is a spectacle to see on stage. The choreography, lighting, and staging help to bring a world, that is so familiar from the movie, to life. The music is some of Alan Menken’s finest work.

4. Next to Normal

Next to Normal is an incredibly sad rock musical that follows the story of a family coping with the mother’s depression. It also focuses on loss and how they cope with loss. The music and the message of the show are both extremely powerful. Next to Normal won the 2010 Pulitzer Prize for Drama, making it only the eighth musical in history to win this award.

3. Young Frankenstein

Some might argue that The Producers is Mel Brook’s greatest work. I would say that this title would go to Young Frankenstein. Based on a film also by Brooks, Young Frankenstein is the story of a descent of the infamous Dr. Victor Frankenstein and his desire to remove himself from the Frankenstein name. Inevitably, he goes on to create a monster of his own, fulfilling his role in the Frankenstein legacy.

2. The Book of Mormon

The Book of Mormon is one of the funniest shows on Broadway. After several years, tickets for this show are still incredibly hard to get. The Book of Mormon follows two young Mormon boys on their mission to Africa. The show has become a phenomenon. The Book of Mormon won the 2011 Tony Award for Best Musical.

1. The Last 5 Years

The Last 5 Years follows a five year long relationship. The story is told in two different perspectives. It is told from beginning to end in the man’s perspective and from end to beginning in the woman’s perspective. The Last 5 Years consists of a cast of only two people. The actors only directly interact with each other in the middle of the show when their time lines meet. Between the beautiful musical and unique way of telling an otherwise simple story, The Last 5 Years gets the top spot on this list.