Top 10 Cities To Visit In Italy

Top 10 Cities To Visit In Italy

The most desirable cities in Italy gathered by research and first hand travel insight

50
Top 10 Cities To Visit In Italy

With one week before I visit Italy for the third time, I'm thinking back on my previous trips and looking forward to my first trip to southern Italy. Italy, a country rich with culture, history, food, industry and of course tourism is a destination for tourists and backpackers alike. Travelers flock to Italy throughout the year to visit beautiful scenery, historical sites, and wonderful food. Below I will provide my experiences, insights and the many attractions to visit the top ten cities in Italy.

1. Rome

The home of Vatican City and the capital of Italy. Rome, a city rich with ancient ruins like the Coliseum, the Arch of Constantine, and the Roman Forum shows the remains of the Roman empire.

2. Florence

Roughly 1 1/2 hours north sits Florence, the capital of the Tuscan region. Florence hails its popularity from the Italian Renaissance, holding the famed Duomo and statue of Big David. Florence is rich with art and food, I faintly remember enjoying the best gelato I've had in a small corner stop in store.

3. Venice

Every traveler dreams of visiting this unique city that is threatened by impending rising water levels, or maybe the city is just sinking. The Gondola boat is the symbol of Venice navigating throughout one of its many canals.

4. Naples

The three previous cities I first visited ten years remain etched in my brain. I expect Naples to be the highlight of my upcoming trip. Naples has a rich and checkered past, however has a past considered to be synonymous with crime and the mob. Positioned about an hour drive or ferry ride to the coastal city of Sorrento and the island Capri, nearby to the ruins of Mount Vesuvius and Pompeii; Naples provides travelers with a plenty of day trips. If the day trips and sites don't excite, Naples is the birthplace of Pizza!

5. Turin

Last summer I had the pleasure to visit two northern cities, Turin and Milan. Aware of the importance, popularity and international fashion scene I was very excited to visit Milan. What I did not expect was the city an hour train ride to the west to be so welcoming and rich in local culture. Turin, a young city feel encompassed by numerous University campuses provides excitement for young travelers wanting to visit a large non touristy city.

6. Milan

The rich, fashion capital of Italy is a constant site of amazement. The Duomo, the 600 year old cathedral is a true site to see. Located in the square directly behind the Golden Rectangle, people gather around to take pictures, shop in the Golden Rectangle or simply enjoy one of the major high end fashion clothing stores located nearby in the area.

7. Bologna

Confident with the first six choices, research had to help me determine these following cities. Bologna is known by many for cuisine, wealth, and politics; but it gained it's position on my list for its historic university. The University of Bologna, first founded in 1066 is one of the oldest and most influential universities in the world. Bologna, a city well known for tortellini and pasta bolognese, credits its impact in wealth and left-wing politics to the mainstay of the University of Bologna.

8. Trieste

The coastal city located about three hours from Venice on the Adriatic is often forgotten or misplaced due to its position away from much of Italy. Trieste, surrounded by the country of Slovenia is rich in history attributed to the old Austrian-Hungarian empire. The port city provides a unique Eastern European feel, with delicious food, beautiful sea views and unique architecture. Although I have not had the pleasure of visiting this coastal city, I assure you after looking at a few pictures it will be included in your travel plans.

9. Perugia

I have heard high acclaim for this city which has a study abroad option for Virginia Commonwealth University students. The walled city hosts many Roman remains such as the Etruscan Arch, dating back to 3rd century BC and a Roman temple dating back to the 5th century. As like many of these Italian cities the food in Perugia is wonderful, but the attention grabber is the annual chocolate festival every October!

10. Genoa

The last city on the list is home to Italian new world explorers Christopher Columbus and John Cabot. The famed port city boasts many yachts, museums, and beautiful churches. Built for Expo 92, Genoa is home to the second largest Aquarium in Europe. A tour of northern Italy is not complete without a stop in Genoa, about two hours to the west of Turin.

Reviewing this list I am aware that I have left off many great cities covering the north down to the most southern tip of Reggio Calabria. This list also does not include one of the many cities located in the Italian islands. Two weeks from now I look forward to having more insight and knowledge to update this list. Every country has its own cities to boast and be proud of but with my interests in Italian culture, history, and food I have a difficult time not being consumed by this majestic country.