The Top 10 Modern Christmas Classics That Are A Must This Holiday Season

These modern Christmas songs have done the impossible and have turned into classics in their own right.

52

On the holidays, most people prefer to stick to what they know. They watch the same Christmas specials. They go to the same stores. They listen to the same songs. However, in modern times, there have been plenty of new Christmas songs released. These songs have done the unthinkable and endured, becoming classics in their own right.

10. My Only Wish (This Year) - Britney Spears

The Princess of Pop, Britney Spears, chose the right time to release a Christmas song. Released after Spears' second album, the pop star had a very young fan base at the time. Those kids were the perfect demographic for this Christmas song. With great lyrics and a pretty melody, this feels like a Christmas classic with Spears putting her signature touch on it.

9. The Night Santa Went Crazy - "Weird Al" Yankovic

Most people wouldn't consider a story about Santa Claus going on a murderous rampage very jolly. But most people aren't "Weird Al" Yankovic. The King of Pop Parody actually has two original Christmas songs. The first of which being "Christmas at Ground Zero," a song about the end of the world coming during the holiday season. But this one stands out because of its storytelling and classic Yankovic humor. Look for the "extra gory version" of the song with slightly altered lyrics.

8. Christmas Wrapping - The Waitresses

This eighties new wave band introduced this song back in 1982. The track has become a staple on Christmas radio over the years. It was famously covered by the Spice Girls back in 1998.

7. Happy Xmas (War Is Over) - John Lennon & Yoko Ono (with The Plastic Ono Band)

This anti-war, pro-peace song certainly gets people into the holiday spirit. They don't call it the season of giving for nothing. It has also inspired many covers over the years.

6. Do They Know It's Christmas? - Band Aid

Bob Geldof held the "Live Aid" concerts back in 1985 to help feed starving children in Africa. It is a cause so close to his heart, he held the "Live 8" concerts 20 years later for the same cause. This single was released to bring attention to that issue. What better way to promote peace on Earth than by helping those in need?

5. Christmas Through Your Eyes - Gloria Estefan

Initially released on her "Greatest Hits" album, this song became the title track of Estefan's own Christmas album in 1993. The track, written with Diane Warren, talks about wanting to relive the magic of Christmas through a child's eyes.

4. Someday at Christmas - Stevie Wonder

This song has been covered by several artists through the years, and with good reason. The socially conscious message of the songs stands true to this day.

3. Wonderful Christmastime - Paul McCartney

From the music to the melody to the lyrics, this song is a signature Christmas staple. You can't help but feel good when you listen to it.

2. Merry Christmas Darling - The Carpenters

A mixture of melancholy and romance, this song is a classic. Karen Carpenter's sweet yet powerful vocal delivery doesn't hurt, either. If there's someone you wish you could be close with during the holidays, you can relate to this song.

1. All I Want For Christmas Is You - Mariah Carey

This has arguably become the most well-known and successful modern Christmas song. Released in 1994 on Carey's "Merry Christmas" album, this song has grown in popularity over the years. 25 years after its release, it has been covered by numerous artists. It also reached number one on the Billboard Hot 100 this year, extending Carey's record for the most number one solo hits on the chart.