10 Artistic Films To Watch ASAP

10 Artistic Films To Watch ASAP

The beauty of film is now categorized, sorry

2039
10 Artistic Films To Watch ASAP
98fm

One of my best friends, Joey Clavelli, is a film buff to the max. He wants to spread his love of film to all of his friends. Due to this, I have been forced to turn my phone off (he hates it when people are on their phones during movies) and watch a multitude of his favorites. At first I was hesitant. I liked self-explanatory, straightforward movies and Joey loves films with a heavy artistic element. That is not to say those two characteristics are mutually exclusive, but oftentimes you have to sit down to artsy films with an open mind.

Joey recently came out with his top films of all times. If you are looking to expand your movie horizons, this is where to start.

10. "It's Such a Beautiful Day" (2012 | USA)

If you're looking to get into those artsy films I mentioned earlier this in the perfect place to jump in. It is an animated short film trilogy. The little stick figure gentleman, his name is Bill. Bill is a relatable, thought-provoking guy who is looking for more in his life.

9. "Drive" (2011 | USA)

This film is the reason I started his list at 10 instead of 5. This was one of my favorites that Joey has showed me. I am not sure why it is only number 9 on his list because he has the poster in his room, but that may be because it is a great photograph of Ryan as well *swoon* Anywho, Ryan plays a smoldering gentleman who leaves his life as a stuntman. This film is sly though, so I don't want to give away too much. Just know, even if you research this film you will have no idea what you're in for and that is the best part. Also, so many beautiful shots. Okay, rant over.

8. "Donnie Darko" (2001 | USA)

Darko, indeed. While it is not classified as horror, it is definitely frightening. This film is a great Halloween film. It even premiered five days before Halloween 2001.I really didn't want to use the word trippy in this article, but for this film I kinda have to. best described as complex and bizarre, but in the best way possible.

7. "Blue Valentine" (2010 | USA)

I know "get out the tissues" is a cliche phrase, but seriously. Where art plays a huge part in this film, I think the performances by Michelle and Ryan really brought this film to the top. I actually watched this one on my own because I heard Joey talking about it. It wasn't one of our regularly scheduled film nights and I am glad for that. I think this is a film that you should take in on your own to really let the emotion resonate. And resonate it does, trust me.

6. "Kids" (1995 | USA)

Kids that are rebellious AF, that's what they are! Don't watch this one with your mother, because she will automatically assume that you have been up to some bad things (and maybe you have but you do not want to call your mother's attention to it). This is not a documentary but I love that it looks like one which is what really makes this an artsy film.

5. "The Virgin Suicides" (1999 | USA)

Halfway there. I think I actually saw this one before I met Joey and felt awesome when I could say that too one of the films he chose. I really like the mystery of this film. It is not overly Lovely Bones, and I am not hating, but this is the best amount of intrigue because it is told from an outside character.

4. "Requiem For a Dream" (2000 | USA)

We have a crowd pleaser on the list. Where the other films on the list are a little more unknown, this one I am 100% sure is on Netflix. The film does, in fact, include drugs and as with any drug film there is a lot of room for artistic development. Addiction makes for great films. Horrible thing but most movies involve bad things.

3. "Samsara" (2012 | USA)

This film is a lot like number 1 in that it relies heavily on the artistic nature of the film, and well, nature in general. You are immersed in the beauty of life. I also think it is important to mention it was filmed over nearly five years in twenty-five countries on five continents. Fun facts.

2. "The Thin Red Line" (1998 | USA)

At this point I shall reveal Joey's favorite director. He directed this film, number 1. His name is Terrence Malick. In this film he did not focus so much on depicting the horrors of the second world war, while it does that as well, but the philosophical nature of war and nature itself. It is an interesting take on a war film to say the least.

1. "The Tree of Life" (2011 | USA)

The ultimate art film. Philosophically, visually, even the writing that was also done by Terrence Malick is fantastic. It does not have to say a lot to convey a vast story which is what makes some of these films so fantastic. The work that these films implore the viewer to put in is what makes watching them an experience rather than a viewing.

In case you were wondering, Joey's list was definitely not just 10 films long. I do not think he could bare to not include the rest of these films on a prominent list. I am quite sure he also had an honorable mentions list as well. Here are the other 40 that made the list!

50. The Cranes Are Flying (1957 | Soviet Union)

49. Polytechnique (2009 | Canada)

48. The Revenant (2016 | USA)

47. The Battle of Algiers (1966 | Italy)

46. Bellflower (2011 | USA)

45. The Ring (2002 | USA)

44. Stand By Me (1986 | USA)

43. Ink (2009 | USA)

42. Lore (2012 | Germany)

41. Through a Glass Darkly (1961 | Sweden)

40. The Silence (1963 | Sweden)

39. I Origins (2014 | USA)

38. Interstellar (2014 | USA)

37. Pulp Fiction (1994 | USA)

36. Enter the Void (2009 | France)

35. Melancholia (2011 | Denmark)

34. The Fall (2006 | USA)

33. The Fountain (2006 | USA)

32. Inland Empire (2006 | USA)

31. Halloween (2007 | USA)

30. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968 | USA)

29. The Mirror (1975 | Soviet Union)

28. Death Proof (2007 | USA)

27. Another Earth (2011 | USA)

26. There Will be Blood (2007 | USA)

25. Magnolia (1999 | USA)

24. 21 Grams (2003 | USA)

23. Wild Strawberries (1957 | Sweden)

22. Eraserhead (1977 | USA)

21. Mulholland Drive (2001 | USA)

20. Upstream Colour (2013 | USA)

19. Spring Breakers (2013 | USA)

18. Children of Men (2006 | USA)

17. Andrei Rublev (1966 | Soviet Union)

16. Solaris (1972 | Soviet Union)

15. The Master (2012 | USA)

14. Come and See (1985 | Soviet Union)

13. The Place Beyond the Pines (2013 | USA)

12. Black Swan (2010 | USA)

11. The New World (2005 | USA)