Tony Stark's Personality Type

As Tony Stark's MBTI Twin, I've Learned A Lot

"Sometimes, you gotta run before you can walk." — Tony Stark

1282
Tony Stark

Most people know of Tony Stark, the genius billionaire playboy philanthropist who doubles as a superhero named Iron Man, one of Marvel's Avengers, a fictional comic book character created by Stan Lee who made it to the big screen in 2008. In the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU), Tony Stark is played by Robert Downey Jr. (RDJ), and this silver screen representation is an ENTP.

Now, if you were to compare Tony Stark and me, we are quite different — well, very different. It's almost laughable. I'm pretty smart, but I can't claim to have attended an Ivy League school at age 15 and walked out with two STEM degrees. I haven't (yet) invented a true fully functional learning AI with a British accent nor have I made a nickel-titanium alloy flying suit that can shoot repulsor beams from its palms. I wouldn't say I'm much of a partier unless you count dominating the dance floor at school balls and birthday parties. Neither am I much of a playboy, seeing how I've never had a romantic or sexual relationship before. Billionaire? Hah! I've got them student loans. I do volunteer, but I wouldn't call myself a philanthropist.

I can't really command a room like he does. I'm pretty confident where he is cocky, self-assured where he is arrogant (which is more than deserved in most cases), and I am more likely to apologize for an offense than he who would either ignore it or throw money at it. However, there is a reason I bought an Iron Man poster and hanged it on my college room wall, right over my bed. It's because we do share some similar attributes, and I look up to him.

As ENTPS, we are both extremely curious. If we want answers or if we learn of something new, we go after it hard. I'm sure both of us have whiled away hours researching some new fascination or individual. If we're not too lost in the zone, we might come up for air and food every 10 hours, and we are both guilty of eavesdropping just to know for knowledge's sake.

I would say we are both clever at the base, though our cleverness tends to express itself in different ways. What is the same is our brainstorming ability, our skill in generating new ideas and novel approaches to a problem. We don't always apply them, but it is the process of working out a better solution or exploring the idea that matters. Sometimes, we do go through with them. Sometimes, we don't.

Tony Stark knows a lot about a lot: electrical engineering, programming, quantum physics, Shakespeare, movies, books, etc. I have been called a walking encyclopedia a few times, and this stems from our previously mentioned curiosity. Not only do we learn all we can about something, but when we're done, we jump right into something else. Eventually, that builds up a rather diverse knowledge base.

We share an odd charisma that consists of quirky charm, wit, and oddball smartism, and we tend to be upbeat individuals. When we come down from that, we come down hard, because we can become overwhelmed and exhausted without warning, most likely because we weren't really paying enough attention to our physical, emotional, or mental health.

We also need people, though we tend to push them away. We need the support, the sounding board, and the monitor who makes sure we take care of ourselves because we can get caught up in ourselves or whatever has caught our attention this time and forget about basic necessities like water, food, and regular bathroom breaks.

I keep an Iron Man poster because whenever I feel down, not good enough, overwhelmed, or flat out stupid, I can look up and see Iron Man — Tony Stark, not only a fellow ENTP but a reminder of my potential. I may not be saving New York anytime soon nor having tequilas in Malibu, but I know that I can do great things if I just stick it through and don't let anyone else try to define or control me. We're not perfect. We already know that. We don't need you to tell us that despite how overconfident we may get at times. We just need you to accept us and maybe check in every once in a while to make sure we're still alive.