A New Sound- TOBi "ELEMENTS Vol. 1"

A New Sound- TOBi "ELEMENTS Vol. 1"

TOBi is a rising rapper with an intense soul sound. This is a deep dive into his newest album "ELEMENTS Vol. 1"

15
A New Sound- TOBi "ELEMENTS Vol. 1"
Patrick Duong

I think we can all wholeheartedly agree that this year has been the fastest & slowest year in what feels like forever. I mean, let's not forget three months of lockdown, going in and out of stage two and three in pretty much every state, and the travel restrictions (those suck a ton). This year pushed some people to really follow their dreams and go full throttle or to step back and take some much-needed time to think.

No one was an exception from this crazy pandemic that 2020 gave us, and we all handled the situation very differently. But one musician, in particular, used this time to step back and write an entire soulful rap album.

TOBi: ELEMENTS Vol. 1Patrick Duong

This artist's name is TOBi; he is a Nigerian-Canadian soul-rap artist who is an advocate for self-care. His new album ELEMENTS Vol. 1; was inspired by the quarantine and is a true testament to caring for yourself in times of stress. TOBi first hit the music scene in 2019 with his album STILL after releasing several singles and signing with Sony Music Group and RCA/Same Plate records.

To deep dive into the new ELEMENTS Vol. 1 album, I should start by saying that my favorite song is, "Made me Everything". This song begins with a classic soul vibe and picks up to become a lyrical masterpiece with a variety of different sounds. This is the perfect song to bop to while heading to the gym, driving with the windows down, or chilling with friends.

Made Me Everything (Official Video)

TOBi - Made Me Everything (Official Video) www.youtube.com

While the video is even impressive, the best part of this album, in my opinion, is that he is a true artist. Within this album, he contributed and wrote on every single song while also contributing his experiences, thoughts, and soulful voice. Throughout the LP, TOBi gets vulnerable with his listeners and lets them into a whole different side of him.

The first song on the album features Juls in, "Dollas and Cents" and is a slower beat that has a catchy rhythm and picks up into a strong rap. The next song leads into "Made me Everything" and skips into the third song, "Conquest". This song sounds like it should be in a slower spy scene, but the lyrics tell an entirely different story of a couple. TOBi is a true artist because every single song sounds completely different. Lucky for you, there are ten songs you can jam to while getting a taste for this upcoming rap-soul star.