To The 20-Year-Olds Who Think They Are Missing Out, You're Actually Doing Great Things

You may think everyone is living such amazing lives while you're studying for hours, but I tell you, you are doing great things.

Hello there.

I am twenty years old and trying to survive college, praying I come out with some sort of degree. I stress almost every day about money, the college weight I have gained, and why I am the only one stuck in a rut.

You see, I am at the age where people I know are either getting drunk 24/7 365, getting married, or they somehow have endless funds of money to take vacations. Here I am, studying for twelve hours to get a C on an organic chemistry exam and checking snapchat every hour to see what I’m missing out on...

I finally realized though, over my sophomore winter break, that I am missing out on absolutely nothing at all. Could I even imagine getting married right now? There’s no possible way. First of all, I know zero people I would even consider marrying. Secondly, I have no time to plan a wedding, nor do I even want a wedding, so why would I even be the slightest bit jealous of an engaged couple my age?

Getting drunk 24/7 365? Again, no possible way. I would rather lay in the snow for the rest of the winter season than take a shot of any liquor. Also, my parents would cut off all of my funding if that were the case.

Endless funds of money for adventures... Wouldn’t that be nice? No school, just trip after trip. No homework, just tan lines and photographs of landscapes. This is the one that gets me the most. I think to myself, “Kenedie, you could totally just finish college later if you want.

You could move somewhere and work an easy job, live cheaply, and do something like surf all day or hike.” Then I think again, “Your dad is Brad Krout, what are you thinking?! No way you’re going anywhere until you have a college diploma.” Then I actually feel very blessed and thankful that my parents push me through this time in my life.

I guess the point of this article is to tell you all that I’m glad I am where I am, and anyone else in a similar situation should be happy with where they are as well. At twenty, if you are not married, in love, drunk every day, or going on extravagant, worldly adventures, you are not missing out on your youth or anything of that sort.

You are building a future. You’re earning a degree, to get a job, to fund yourself, so you can take those amazing trips or do anything you want, honestly.

Make the most of every day at college. Every hour of studying is worth it. Our day will come, and we’ll be planning a wedding and trips – we might be thirty instead of twenty, but it will come.

We’re not missing out on anything.