An Open Letter To The Student Who Is Killing The Game, But Struggling Mentally

I see you.

97

I see you. I know it seems as if the whole world around you has their act together, and you're quickly falling behind, but don't give up just yet. Everything you're doing now- whether it be managing 2 jobs, volunteering, or taking on a heavy course load, is preparing you for the happiness that you deserve.

It's hard to watch others who seem like they're taking the easy way out. It's frustrating to feel like mediocrity has become your normal and anything beyond that is something you can't reach. It's agonizing to feel like no matter how much work you put into something, it's still not good enough.

This system we are educated in can feel corrupt and unreasonable. You find guilt in taking time for yourself, yet society is pushing self-care on us like its easy. You're attempting to work on self-love, but you're so concerned with the wellbeing of your loved ones who surround you, so you are your last priority.

It's not easy. Our generation of technology and social media makes it harder to escape this cruel reality, but I see you. You're trying. And I promise that one day you will be applauded for every ounce of hard work you've dedicated to your passions. Whether you're applauded by a friend, a future coworker, or even your boss, this light will shine through for you. The negativity, darkness, and frustrations will be gone, and out you will rise successful and strong.

Step back and away from the success of others around you. Be happy for others but focus on yourself and what you must do to get to that happy place again. It's not easy to regroup and train your mind to see the glass half full, but if you can make a small effort every day to better your mentality, be proud of yourself… the rest will fall into place.