To The Student Still Waiting To Hear Back From Their Dream College

I know this is not how you planned it to be. The countless hours of studying, the incredible amount of effort you put into your college applications, and every extracurricular you involved yourself in — to be placed on the waitlist.

141
EveryPixel- Pixabay

I get it, I've been there.

For two and a half months I waited, checking five to ten times a day to see if my admission status had updated on my school portal. Until one morning in an IHop, I received an email saying I had been accepted. I knew in my heart that it was the place I was meant to be.

I am writing this to say that it is possible! But each person has their own path, so whatever your current plans are after this school year ends, you should be so excited about them! You are more than enough and your self worth is not determined by whether you get into a certain school or not. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what everyone else is doing. All that matters is that you are happy and proud of where you are today.

I wish I could tell you that everyone gets off the waitlist, but that is not true. The harsh reality is that you may not get in, and that is okay. Whatever way this may go, I promise you will find your community and thrive.

Time and time again you have persevered through hardships that have prepared you to conquer this stressful waiting period. It is extremely challenging to accept that you can't control everything. What helped me was to focus on living everyday to its fullest. Life doesn't wait for you to catch up after you've been waiting for a college admissions team to get back to you. You have to keep doing the things you love and be proud of all the amazing accomplishments that you have achieved.

You make the most out of your future, not an admissions team.

You are in charge. Even though you are waiting, you have the power to choose where you go and where you take your life. An admissions team only lets you in, but you are the one that walks your path and creates the rest of your life.

So take your life back! This waiting period is only temporary. I wish you the best of luck with everything that life brings you. This is only the beginning of a phenomenal journey that you are about to embark on.