To the People Who Bug Me About My Relationship Status

93
purehappylife.com

Don't think me some kind of lonely hag complaining about being single on Valentine's Day. I'm not. I couldn't give a rat's ass about Valentine's Day or the frivolous fluff that surrounds it. I'm just seriously sick and tired of everyone pestering me about my love life or, to be more specific, my lack thereof. Too many well-meaning but nosy people in my life constantly ask me if there's a man in my life. First off, that's so heteronormative to assume my orientation like that. And no there's no one of the same-sex in my life either. I'm 100% single, solo, confirmed bachelorette.

And that's not a problem for me, but everyone is trying to make it a problem. We live in a culture where everyone and their dog is obsessed with relationships (particularly heterosexual ones). If a man or woman is single, everyone automatically assumes they are lonely losers who can't get a date, and they hit them with a freight train of pity. They drop subtle hints like, "You know eHarmony is a thing right?" or "You oughta go to -insert a name of a place-. You never know, you might just meet somebody there." Stop it. Quit treating single people like they are somehow damaged or broken if they aren't dating someone.

It is okay to be single. I've rushed into so, so many relationships not because I liked the person, but because I felt society's pressure to not be single. None of those relationships were memorable or any good, because they were forced and inorganic. I want a relationship that's organic and not scrutinized by the world. The kinds of people I'm interested in don't live where I live, so I have to wait before I go on the prowl, and that doesn't bother me. I just wish people would respect that and not try to set me up on blind dates.