A Letter To Myself In 5 Years

A Letter To Myself In 5 Years

Keep it up baby girl, you're killing it.

790
A Letter To Myself In 5 Years

Dear Michaela,

At this point in your life, you are done with your freshman year in college. Congratulations, but you have to think about what the future will provide for you. You're going to be fresh out of college and life is really going to start in full gear because you're an adult. In five years you are going to be 23 years old with a whole life ahead of you. I don't want you to be so wrapped up in work or family that you forget the little things in life, your hopes, or your dreams.

Don't forget how badly you wanted to travel.

It has always been a fantasy of yours to go out and travel anywhere you wanted to go. Going across Europe has always been on your bucket list and you have always wanted to see the beautiful beaches of the Bahamas. It is never too late, so go out there and do it. Would you rather sit in an office every day or be able to experience unforgettable places? You better choose the latter.

Save your money.

All you ever do is spend money –– so quit it. You do not need that 12-foot body pillow, so put it back. Start saving your money more because if you don't you're gonna end up in a box. Even if you end up making a lot of money don't splurge. Keep your spending simple and limited to only the necessities.

I hope you're still with the guy you are with currently.

Whatever you do, do not mess this up. He is honestly the most amazing thing that has happened to you so don't blow it by overreacting or making a stupid mistake. I can only imagine how much harder this will be for the both of you in five years. His contract with the Navy will almost be over so that means you get to see him all the time now. You. Can. Do. It. I believe in you and I'm cheering you on.

Get a job you love.

I know it's hard to get a job right out of college because you do not have much experience, but I hope you get lucky. I hope you love your job so much that you never want to leave. Even if you don't get a job right out of college regarding your major, that's fine. Keep on looking and you'll find one eventually. Remember, if you love what you do you'll never work a day in your life

Don't forget to spend time with family.

There is nothing wrong with stopping by Mom and Dad's house every once in a while, you know they love to see you. If you don't have the time, just a phone call can do so much. I know you miss them and they miss you so much more. The least you can do is stop by for a visit. They have done so much for you in life and you can't be more thankful. Now that you are grown and living on your own, it's time for you to return the favor.

Never lose your sparkle.

Do not become so wrapped up in everything that you do that you no longer shine. You have always had a bubbly personality and a great head on your shoulders. There should never be a reason for you to lose your smile –– even in the worst of situations you can bring a smile to your face. You are strong and beautiful. Let no one drag you down. You're going to be discouraged, you're going to be sad, you're going to get hurt, but get back up. you are bigger than the obstacles put in your way and you can overcome them.

Five years does not seem like long, but it is long enough that one small decision can change your life. I hope life is the best you make it. Do not forget these simple words of advice that your 18-year-old self has written to you. I may not know much about life, but I certainly know all about your life.

Yours truly,

Michaela