To The Mom Friend Of The Group

To The 'Mom Friend,' Never Underestimate The Role You Play

If you can't figure out who the "mom" friend is in your group, chances are that it's probably you.

88
Destiny Rasmussen

There is at least one in every group and if you cannot figure out who the "mom" friend is in your group, chances are that it is probably you. Still not sure? Alright, let's just go through a basic checklist of everything that qualifies you as the "mom" friend of your friend group.

You usually have the biggest bag in the circle of friends. That bag usually contains medicine for a million different symptoms, water, a cereal bar, a phone that isn't yours, and a phone charger.

You always have a water bottle in your hand.

You are usually the driver of the group.

You tend to make the plans for the upcoming night and make a schedule that fits everyone's different routines accordingly.

But most importantly, you are always the person everyone stays up late to talk to about their problems and concerns.

Even if you only fit with two of these items on the checklist, you are probably the that "mom" friend. But don't worry! It's never a bad thing to be that friend of your group. Even though that is one hundred percent true, recently I have started to notice a lot of "mom" friends getting a lot of negative energy.

Let me explain.

How many times have you and your friends been getting ready to go out for a fun night out on the town and one of the girls in your group starts in on her usual lecture? "Everyone should be careful tonight." and, "Does everyone have their phones charged, or are they bringer chargers just in case?" and, "Make sure to drink enough water tonight so we don't feel sick in the morning" and even sometimes, "I am bringing my big bag tonight so we don't have to pay for snacks later."

This is the first of many conversations that will occur tonight and a lot of you will roll your eyes at us "mom" friends or just completely ignore us in general. But here is why we worry the way we do — we are not stupid, and we know that tonight is going to be fun and possibly a little wild. We worry the way we do because, just like real mothers, we do not ever want to see our friends hurt, sick, unhappy, or anything else even worse. We want to prevent anything that could ruin your nights, even if that means being the "uncool mom" for the night. We are prepared to make that sacrifice.

Look, we don't want to be the Debbie-downers of your night of fun and adventure, we just want everyone to be as safe as humanly possible. We don't want to be classified as lame, boring, or even worse, stop getting invited to nights out altogether. We worry because we care, not to annoy and prevent fun times.

So the next time you want to criticize your "mom" friend in the group, remember those snacks in her bag are free to you, and they can very quickly disappear completely.