To The High School That Prepared Me For College | The Odyssey Online

To The High School That Prepared Me For College

Educating the mind without educating the heart is no education at all. - Aristotle

14
Clipart Panda

I seriously can’t believe that I am moving into college in less than three weeks. If we're getting specific, I will say goodbye to my friends, my room, my dogs, and much of my embarrassing hoard of clothes in (as of this moment) 17 days, 20 hours, 40 minutes, and 18 seconds. Not that I’m counting.

Do I feel ready? Not really. Am I ready? Deep down, I know I am. Many of the people I’ve talked to will tell you high school horror stories; intense drama, nightmarish teachers, prison food, and sleepless nights. I won’t tell you these stories - ask me about high school, and I can fill hours with positive memories about the place where I spent most of the last four years, the place where I did some serious growing up. I loved high school, and I think I’m pretty lucky to be able to say that. Without my high school, and the people who made it such a positive place to be, I don’t know that I could say that I’m ready to take on the next step that is college.

Thank you to the math teacher that helped me to enjoy the class I once dreaded. Your preparation, diligence, sense of humor, and undying energy taught me that success is always possible if you set your mind to it. Through the use of fun rhymes and slightly inappropriate jokes, math became nothing more than a set of puzzles I looked forward to solving. Because of you, I now know that life is what you make of it.

Thank you to the history teacher who gave me my first taste of real college work. Your class an was intense, lecture-style atmosphere that put the responsibility to achieve on me. You pushed me to learn so much about myself, my learning style, and my goals; it's clear that you truly care about your student’s success, both in and out of the classroom. Because of you, I now know that hard work produces great results (like a 5 on the AP US History exam).

Thank you to the English teacher who encouraged me to read, to write, and to speak. I watched you teach with such joy and passion and integrity. You understood the creative way in which my mind works, and provided a classroom that served as a space to turn my thoughts into words. You pushed me, gently, outside of my comfort zone, believing in my ability to conquer tasks I once perceived to be impossible. Because of you, I now know who I would like to be one day.

Thank you to the school psychologists that fought alongside me when anxiety threatened to conquer. You provided a safe place for me to decompress, take some deep breaths, and return to class ready and refocused. You supported me through my toughest times and helped hold the worries that were too heavy to bear alone. We, along with my doctors, worked as a team to ensure I was as healthy and happy as possible. Because of you, I now know that I never need to struggle in silence.

Thank you to the Key Club advisor who saw the leadership potential buried deep inside of me. You encouraged me to take on roles in the club that required me to put myself out into my school and community, and helped me grow into a person that is comfortable in taking initiative. Your confidence in me has translated into confidence in myself. Because of you, I now know that I have the will to change the world.

Thank you to the people who have taught me, encouraged me, supported me, and helped mold me into the person I am today; without you, I wouldn’t be her. I am so blessed to have gone to a high school brimming with gifted educators and advisors who work so hard to prepare their students for future success. Your efforts have not gone unnoticed. Thank you for all that you do.