To The High School Seniors Who Can’t Wait To Graduate

There are some things you should know first...

328

One year ago, I was in your shoes. I just got back from our senior class trip to Disney World, I was preparing for finals, and I was anticipating moving into my dorm at Temple University in August. I couldn't wait to get away from Delco and my town and begin my new life in the city.

So, while you say that you're ready to get out of your high school, there are some things you should know first.

This year went by super fast. I'm sure you already know that. Take that all in. Reflect on everything that has happened to you this year and what's about to happen. Let it all sink in. This may be the last time that you see the people around you ever again. They may move to a completely different part of the country or world. They may not go to your high school reunion in ten years.

You're not going to be able to see your friends as often as you would like, and this may cause you to drift away from them. This is completely okay, though, because you're going to make so many more friends once you go to college. It's okay to not hold onto every single one of your friends from high school. In fact, it's completely normal.

They say that high school is the best four years of your life, and I sure didn't believe this when I was in high school. Heck, I don't even think that now as a sophomore in college. It is, however, a time of your life where you experience the most growth. You're on the brink of adulthood, but you're not quite there yet. You have freedoms, but not all of them. You don't have very many responsibilities to worry about yet. Take advantage of that while you can.

Senior year is a time full of lasts. Your last school dance, last football game, last field trip, last homework assignment, last class, last lunch period, right before you have your last class breakfast, last graduation practice, and finally, the last time you'll ever see all of your classmates in one room all together at graduation. Savor the moment of all of the lasts. Don't rush your last few weeks. Be in the moment.

Before you walk across that stage in your colorful cap and gown with the plethora of chords around your neck, think about what got you there in the first place. Reminisce on your four years in high school. Remember the goods and the bads of your time there. Remember walking into that school for the very first time four years ago, how excited you were to start that chapter of your life in a huge school. Being able to see your friends every day.

You might not miss all of the work you had to do, you might not miss having to get up at 6 A.M. every day. But, you will miss the people. You'll miss the things you did. You'll miss the funny moments. You'll miss the pep rallies and early dismissals. You'll miss the school dances. You'll especially miss getting to go home every day to a home-cooked meal.

So seniors, before you graduate and move into college in a few months, savor the moment of being in high school. Savor the moment of getting to see your friends every day. Savor the moment of little responsibility and your childhood, because that is what you will miss years from now after graduating.