To The Future "Mr." To My "Mrs."

To The Future "Mr." To My "Mrs."

You're worth the wait.

48
To The Future "Mr." To My "Mrs."
Tessa Burton

Dear Future Husband,

Yes, the opening sentence sounds cliché, and maybe a bit cheesy... but you might want to get used to it.

I must admit, it is so much easier to write about things that you have seen than to write about things that you can't see yet. Perhaps that's why I don’t write to you very often. I know you'll come around someday, so of course I look forward to that and all the fun we'll have. I know everything won't be all "roses and butterflies," but it will be worth it, because we'll have each other.

I don't know if I've met you yet or not, so I couldn't describe you to anyone who would ask me about you. If I have met you, I don't know that you're "it" yet. So, I don’t really know what you look like. My mind has this idea in my head of what you might look like, or be like, and sometimes I think you’ll be relatively close to that "picture." Other days I wonder if you’ll blow that mental picture out of the water.

So, surprise me, I’m up for it.

I know, no matter what you look like, you will feel like home, and I will love to rest my head on your shoulder and walk hand in hand with you through all of life’s trials. I really look forward to that part, having someone to do life with; but not just "someone."

You.

Now I may not know what your voice sounds like just yet, but I know I won’t want to wait to hear it after a long day. My heart looks forward to when I will finally be able to run home to your arms and be held for as long as is needed. Likewise, I want to love you in all the ways that you desire, and that will make my heart just as happy, my dear.

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy doing things by myself. But some days it can get a little lonely waiting for you. I fight that feeling as much as I can, but sometimes it's good to sit with that emotion briefly, and admit that it’s real, before moving on to bigger and better things. It reminds me to be grateful for what is coming, and that I am never truly alone, because Jesus is always with me, whether you are here or not.

Despite the fact that occasionally it can get lonely being by myself, I know that I don’t need you for my own happiness.

I know you'll make me happy, but the difference is that I want you in my life, I don't have to have you in my life to make me happy. Though in another aspect of it, if we’re meant to be, then on some level God knew that I would need you in my life, but not in a co-dependent way, my dear. In the kind of fashion that we will help each other grow individually (and grow together), however we may need; similar to how we are growing on our own right now, while we are apart.

I so look forward to learning you, and all your likes and dislikes, even the little things, like do you quirk your eyebrow when you're confused? How do you like your coffee? Do you even like coffee?

Likewise, I look forward to you learning me and my likes and dislikes. There's just something about the bond between two people who truly know each other; it's like nothing else, and I definitely look forward to having that with you.

I won't even begin to describe what our love will look like; mostly because I have no idea. But I do know this: it will be good, better than "good," and oftentimes even better than "great." I know that loving you will always be worth it, even in the hard times, when we have to choose to love each other during certain moments when it doesn't come quite as naturally as it will in others.

I may not know where you’re at right now, or what you’re doing, but I hope you’re doing well. Maybe you’re traveling the world, or studying for midterms, or sleeping in a car on your way to the beach with friends. Nevertheless, if the latter is the case, you should have invited me! ;)

I hope you're the one I love next. Sometimes I feel like you will be, other times I'm not so sure, and feel as though I still need to grow a bit more in who I am as an individual before we meet. Maybe you feel the same way.

You should probably know that even if I do love others before you, it will be a different kind of love, the kind that seems to pale in comparison to what our love will look like. Even still, the love that Jesus has for us will be even greater, because there is not another kind of love in the world that shines as brightly as His.

Perhaps you also ought to know that the thought of meeting you kind of scares me, but it's not the kind of scared like when you're little and "the monsters might come and get me!" and you're truly terrified. It's the kind of scared that's more excited, but still nervous. The kind that's learning to trust again, but a little more cautiously, a little more carefully.

Regardless, I so look forward to our "some day," whenever that may be. Until then, live, fully and completely; I'll be doing the same. Go skydiving, graduate with a degree in your major, or visit Paris. Just promise me that if you do go to France, next time you'll take me with you!

I love you.