To The Fatherless On Father's Day

To The Fatherless On Father's Day

"But you, God, see the trouble of the afflicted; you consider their grief and take it in hand. The victims commit themselves to you; you are the helper of the fatherless." - Psalm 10:14
106

This day and most days; it stings, and it hurts. On this day though especially, you feel the void that your father inevitably left in his absence. Whether you have lost your father to death, abandonment, or something else entirely, today is a reminder that you are making it and have made it through life without the man that is supposed to look out for you, protect you and guide you. The man that was supposed to teach you how to drive, walk you down the aisle and guide you in all of the life lessons some say can only come from a dad. I know today is painful, and I am sharing in that pain today. I would not wish it on anyone, but I find my hope in the One above.

He has told me that I am not abandoned. He has told me that He walks with me.

“A Father to the fatherless, a defender of widows, is God in His holy dwelling. God sets the lonely in families, He leads forth the prisoners with singing.” - Psalm 68: 5-6

The prisoners of abandonment. The prisoners of death. The prisoners of tragedy. He leads us forward with singing, with love, with hope.

He has told me that I am His child. He has told me that I am not fatherless.

“I will be a Father to you and you will be my sons and daughters, says the Lord Almighty.” - 2 Corinthians 6:18

He is near to the brokenhearted. He is near to you on this day. Find comfort in the fact that He calls you child. He is your Heavenly Father and He loves you with a love that surpasses all understanding. He knows you are hurt today and His arms are open.

I know today is difficult. I know every time a sentimental picture is posted today your heart will sink a little. Every time I'm at a wedding and it's time for the father-daughter dance, I have to excuse myself. Believe me, I know the emptiness that can linger where a father should be. Whatever the circumstance, I know it's easy to want for that relationship, and I'm so sorry that you have to.

"And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them." - Romans 8:28. I find peace, comfort and reassurance in His word. I know that He is my Father and that He is guiding me day by day. I will not be envious or trap myself in comparison with others and their families, but instead I will be thankful for His blessings on me and my life. I will trust that it is all a part of His plan, and that I will be able to reach so many because of my circumstances. I have not suffered without reason. I will have joy and I will rest in the love and embrace of my Heavenly Father.

For all of you celebrating your fathers today, I am so glad that you have a man who looks after and loves you. I am so thankful for that influence and relationship in your life. I pray that he will lead, love and guide in the way a father should. I pray you never feel his absence, even in death. Celebrate him and his love today and to the Fatherless on this Father's Day, please know you are not abandoned. You are unconditionally loved. You are called sons and daughters.