To The College Freshman Who Finished Their First Semester

Here's to seven more!

282

Dear Freshman,

You've done it! You completed your first semester of college. I know what you're thinking: "It flew by." You had many ups and downs, many good nights and bad nights, so much stress and worry, but now you know what to expect when you head back. However, I know you're still having some worries.

You didn't do as well as you thought.

No matter how much your high school "prepares you for college," you're going to go through a lot of adjusting. For me, college was my first time living away from home. Not having mom to cook or do my laundry for me was kind of a shock. Going from high school to a college campus takes a lot of adjusting too. Taking the time to find where your classrooms are and giving yourself enough time to wake up, get ready, eat, and walk to class can sometimes be tough. Even just being able to manage your time between schoolwork, studying, social life, school events, clubs, eating, and sleeping can prove to be quite difficult. Don't take it too hard if your grades weren't what you thought. Just make sure you know how to change that for next semester and beyond.

You're unsure of your friend group.

Unless you went to the same school as any of your close home friends, everyone is in the same boat as you. The beginning of the semester was full of awkward introductions, ice breakers, and every door on the floor of your dorm being wide open. Now that you have your bearings and know your school a lot better than you did in the beginning of the first semester, you can take your second semester by storm. Join more clubs, talk to your classmates, make more plans, be yourself, and trust me, you'll find your people.

You feel lost.

You don't have a major yet. That's completely OK! You've only been through a semester of college and have time to figure it out. Take some introduction classes, see what you might be interested in, and talk to your adviser. Or you hate your current major, that's also OK. Go to your adviser and consider all your options. College is all about trial and error, it's better to know that you need to change your major sooner rather than later.

You and your roommate aren't best friends.

And you and your roommate don't need to be best friends, but it is important that you guys get along. Make sure you respect them, and they'll respect you. If you're having serious problems with your roommate, that's what your RSA is for. Don't be afraid to talk to your RSA, they can help you figure something out. But if you guys are best friends, cheers to you!

You aren't feeling like yourself.

Being away from home, making new friends, juggling new classes -- it's tough. It's OK to take time for yourself and stay in with a pint of ice cream, but also make sure you're taking the time to expand your horizons. Go to the school events, talk to new people, find people like you, and it'll make college a much better experience.

Some advice for second semester.

1. Join clubs.

You like dance? Join dance. You like art? Join the art club. You like science? Join the bio club. Make your time at college worthwhile. Make connections!

2. Balance your time.

You don't want to be exhausted every day because you were up all night doing work. Utilize the library and buy a planner. Make sure you have enough time to take care of yourself by eating and sleeping.

3. Exercise.

Don't let the freshman 15 get you down. Make sure you watch what you're eating and go to the gym or even fun fitness classes.

4. Do what makes you happy.

Make sure you make time to worry for yourself. If you're stressed give yourself time to breathe, take a walk, watch an episode, eat some mac and cheese.

5. Don't be afraid to ask for help.

If you're struggling in a class, talk to your professor. If you're feeling homesick, call your mom. Feeling stressed/anxious/depressed? There are counselors to help you.

6. Going out isn't everything.

Having a social life and meeting new people is fun and important, but your grades are important too. Yes, go out and have fun, but remember that spending the whole weekend recovering from a hangover isn't going to help your GPA.

7. Don't be afraid.

Take risks, do things you never thought that you would do (smart things), and no ragrets.

They say these are the best four years of your life...so make them yours. Here's to semester number two!