A Letter To My Younger Self

A Letter To My Younger Self

It gets better.

9
A Letter To My Younger Self
Fresh Egg

Dear Little One,

It is July 16, 2016, you are 24 years old, and life is a hell of a ride at the moment; more than you ever thought possible. You are about to enter your Junior year of college, on your way to graduation in June of 2018. I know you have dreams of becoming an actor, a singer, a veterinarian; but let me tell you that you will go through so many more career options in your mind before you settle on studying Mass Communication and Mass Media. Even when you get to your Junior year, you still won’t know what career you would like to have within this field of study. You’ll go with the flow and get your feet wet in the areas that interest you the most until you find your true calling. I know you don’t see it now, but you can rest assured that you have one of the most creative and open minds. You must nurture it, cherish it, and develop it because it is guaranteed to take you far in this world.

Your love life is impeccable. I know you are going through a period of sadness and confusion because you are still trying to figure out who you are, but try not to put too much thought into it. Follow your heart and your gut -- they usually steer you in the right direction. Forget what society tells you what is right and what is wrong and live your own life to the fullest that only you can live it.

On November 30, 2015, you will begin to chat with an incredible man online, whom you will then meet in person just two weeks later on December 14th, 2015. The love you two have between you will blossom into something indescribable. You’ll have your bumps in the road like all couples do, but due to your amazing communication skills and open mindedness, you’ll reach compromises that will keep your love and relationship on track to bigger and better things. As of this writing, you would have just celebrated your 7 month anniversary together.

Time will fly but every second you spend together will feel just as special as it was when you two first met. I know you worried that nobody will love you because of your low self-esteem, much of it stemming from your acne that can get out of control. I hate to be the bearer of bad news when it comes to this, but you will still suffer from acne from time to time, but please do not let that bring you down. At the end of the day, the man you fell in love with will not see any acne whatsoever. What he will see is the man behind the eyes, the man with the big heart and kind soul. The man that, according to him, can see himself being with for a long long time. So please do not let your exterior totally destroy your interior.

Your extended family will grow even larger than it already is and you love it because your family is one of a kind. Despite the fact that there are moments where you all seem divided and separated, you will all find a way to come back to each other and pick up where you left off as if no time has passed at all. Don’t be afraid to go to them whenever you have an issue. They will listen, they will give you the best advice that they can give, and they will love you no matter what-- flaws and all.

Don’t lose contact with too many people, as they will be the key to help you stay on the right track. You will make amazing, one-of-a-kind friends that will keep you on your toes, keep you laughing, and keep you grounded. Don’t lose contact with them either, as this is commonly the case as you move further and further into your professional lives. Stephany Acevedo, Layla Abdel-jabbar, Sarah Vee, and a number of other friends will be there for you, cherish your relationships with them.

At the end of the day, just love yourself first. If you have that down pat, you will be able to love other people that much harder. Love is powerful. Especially in the world you will face in the future, love will be the ultimate weapon against hate. In a divided world, you must stick to your own convictions, stand up for what you believe is right, and don’t let society or people in power tell you how you ought to live your life. It is gonna be a hard road, but just remember that you have people around you who care, and you’ll be alright.

Keep your head up, it’ll all be worth it, I promise.

Love,

Your future self