To My Strong And Independent Mom

To My Strong And Independent Mom

Thanks for being so awesome.

331
To My Strong And Independent Mom
Sonia Potter

Dear Mom,

I don't think I thank you enough for everything you do for me. I've been so busy with school and work that I just haven't had the time to tell you how much I appreciate you. It shouldn't be that way. You don't deserve that. You deserve to know how much your daughter looks up to you and loves you.

First of all, you're a badass. You've been a single mom since 2009, and you are the best one out there. Not many people can give their children all the support, love, and encouragement they need while simultaneously working multiple jobs, struggling to get by, dealing with health issues, and going through the many other trials life has to offer. I am so proud of you for that. I know it must not be easy for you to be such a great mom, but you make it look like a piece of cake.

Secondly, you're pretty fun to be around. When I was little, you were strictly my mom. Now, you are also my friend. Whenever something exciting happens to me, I want to tell you about it. When I'm bored on a Friday night, I want to spend it hanging out with you. I know you're pretty busy, but just know that I really do appreciate the time we are able to spend together. I love the way you laugh at things even when they aren't that funny. I love it when you blast music and sing while you bake fall desserts. I love listening to you talk about everything that's going on in your life, and I'm here for you. That's what friends are for.

As a single mom (aka a super strong and independent woman), you have taught me a lot. You have taught me that happiness comes from within and that I don't need a man to complete me. You have taught me that if I work hard, I can achieve anything. You have taught me how important it is to educate myself both in school and in the real world. You have shown me that although life gets hard sometimes, there is a resilient spirit in us that is always able to triumph. You have taught me to be lighthearted--to not take myself too seriously--and you have taught me how important it is to laugh. You have taught me how to cook meatloaf and how to pump gas. For years, you have been both my mom and my dad, and you have made it look so easy. Thank you for everything you've taught me over the years by word and by example. If I can grow to be half the woman you are, that will be enough for me.

I love you, Mom. You are my biggest role model, my number one fan, and my safe haven of unconditional love. You'd better stay in this world for a really long time because I definitely can't live without you.

Thanks for everything.

Love,

Your daughter