To My Future Students

To My Future Students

I'm so lucky to be called your teacher.
6

Dear Future Students,

First off, I want you to know that I am so honored to be your teacher. On the first day of school, I may look a little scary, and you’ll be a little nervous. Trust me; I will be too. I’m nervous because I’m scared that you won't like me or that you will hate my classroom. I’m nervous that I won’t be a good enough teacher to teach all of the things you need to learn by the end of the year. You may think it’s crazy for me to be nervous, and it is a little. All I want to do is be the best teacher for you. When I think about teaching you, I know that you deserve the best, and I can only hope that I am good enough for you. When it comes to the first day, I will smile a lot and will ask you questions. I don’t want to make you uncomfortable, but I just want to learn as much as I can about you so that I can make school as enjoyable as I can.

I don’t want to learn about you just for fun, but I also want to learn about you so that I can understand you better. I want to learn about your learning styles and what subjects interest you the most. I want to know you well enough, so when I think that you are having a hard time with something, I can get you the help you need so you don’t fall behind. Even though I’m getting you extra help, I don’t think you’re dumb or stupid. Getting additional help doesn’t mean that you aren’t as smart as everyone else; you are smart no matter what. I want to help you succeed not only in my classroom but outside of it as well.

I will try my best to make you feel comfortable enough in my classroom that you can tell me anything. Please, don’t get annoyed with me if I ask you how you’re doing or if I want to know if something is wrong. I know that may get on your nerves, and I’m sorry. I just want you to be happy. I also want you to know that I will do my best to keep you safe. If I think that your environment outside of school is not safe, I will do my best to get you into a safer one. If you feel that I’m being mean or taking you away from the people you care about, I’m sorry. I don’t mean to hurt your feelings; I just want you to be okay.

My job is to not only teach you the common core standards, but it’s also to help shape you into being successful.

Sincerely,

Your Future Teacher