To My Campers As I Look Back At The Best Summer Ever

Thank you for teaching me how to be happy and carefree.
84

Being a camp counselor this summer was more to me than just something to do or a job. I needed a summer away from all the drama of friend groups, fake friends and boys. People always say that as a camp counselor people will look at you as a role model. After my freshman year at college, I wouldn’t have considered myself a perfect role model. I wasn’t the complete worst or anything, but I didn’t want my siblings to make some of the mistakes I made.

Being a camp counselor at an all-girls camp taught me to love myself like I used to or wanted to. So many people were there for me and they didn’t even realize it — all of the campers taught me so much about self-love and happiness without even trying.

I smile when I think us talking about how rude boys can be, how happy we were to be at camp and how we wanted to have the best summer ever. I’m so thankful for everything that happened this summer — even though many of my campers were six or seven years younger than me, I relate to all of their struggles when it comes to trying to figure out where you belong and how to be happy with yourself without comparing yourself to others.

So, to all of my campers: I love you all so much and I want all of you to know that you deserve to be happy no matter what. Life is hard sometimes and it’s okay to have a rough time because everyone does. I want you all to know you are great just the way you are. We all have positives and negatives in our life and you can always grow from anything that comes your way. You all taught me to put other people before myself and always to try to make others smile. This was the best summer ever and I can’t thank you all enough for teaching me how to be happy and carefree.

Oh, yeah and GOOO GRAY!!!