To My Best Friend's Ex-Best Friend

To My Best Friend's Ex-Best Friend

A letter to the ex-friends of my best friends.

188
To My Best Friend's Ex-Best Friend
Google

To my Best Friend's Ex-best friend,

I just wanted to say a big thank you for being so awful to my best friend. I know that's strange to say, but after the lows she had with you, she could only go up. Now, there has been so much more joy in her life. She has smiled more, laughed more, made more happy memories and deeper connections without you.

Thank you for making her feel like shit. Because of you she has learned self worth. She realized how amazing she is, and made a vow to never let someone make her feel like that again. She knows how she deserves to be treated and she knows how to treat others. Because of you she learned that not everyone follows the Golden Rule, but she will because she know what I feels like. She makes everyone she meets feel important and will never be mean to another soul. She lets her new friends be themselves without judgment, something she didn't learn from you. Despite how you made her feel, she came out to be a better person.

Thank you for making her feel uncomfortable when you're around. Instead of being at least civil, you went out of your way to make her feel excluded. No one wants to be around that. So because of you, she spent more time with me. We spent a lot of time laughing about you and what you said, making light of an otherwise sad situation. We spent time crying about how you treated her, talking through the good and bad times your past together, and overall letting her find a kind of closure in the mess. Because of you, we've become super close. We have an open and honest relationship where we can talk about anything and everything. I can't believe you're missing out on being friends with such an amazing person. Your loss is my gain.

Thank you for ignoring her when she comes around or when she texts you, because of you, she never ignores what I say or do. Even if she doesn’t want to respond she does, because she knows what its like to be ignored. Even if she disagrees with what I do, she doesn't judge me, and she lets me talk it through because she knows what its like to not have someone support you. Thank you for giving up on your friendship with her because I've gotten on of the best friends I've ever had.

Because of how crappy you were to her during your friendship, she's grown. She now knows how she deserves to be treated and doesn’t stand for anything less. She treats every person she comes in contact with as important and special, regardless if she's known them for a long time or they're a complete stranger. She's gained the confidence to be who she is without fear, as well as the confidence to stand up for herself. She's grown to be a better person in spite of you, and what a wonderful person she is.

Thank you for giving up on your friendship with her because we’ve found a better one with each other. Thank you for being the worst friend ever because I've gotten one of the best friends I've ever had.