To The High School Student Who Can't Graduate Fast Enough

The best is yet to come.

354
Madison Vice

For some, senior year is the highlight of their entire high school experience. For me, I felt like I could not graduate fast enough. In fact, my entire high school experience consisted of me counting down the days until I could get out of that dreadful place. I was tired of my high school, my hometown, and the monotony of daily life as a high school student.

Senior year marks the beginning of the transitionary point between dependent and independent, and although it is liberating and relieving, this moment in time can be terrifying without the right guidance. Here are 10 things every student with chronic seniorities should be doing right now:

1. Capture every moment

I hated senior year- if we're being honest. I hated everything about high school. But I still documented every moment and memory. I have pictures of every event, every sleepover, every party, of every highlight during that time of my life, and I am so glad I captured these moments. Often, I look back on these pictures and reflect how far I have come and how much my life has changed.

I promise one day, you will be immensely thankful that you captured this period of time. These images will bring you comfort when you feel lost and unambitious, and they will remind you to stay true to yourself and continue to pursue those big dreams you imagined in high school.

2. Find your people

By this time, you know every single person in your graduating class, and you probably have some form of friend group. But ask yourself: Are these people you want to surround yourself with? Are these people you want to come home from college and hang out with over winter break? Do these people lift me up and inspire me? If you answered no to these questions, cut those "friends" off. They were necessary for your growth and development in your grade school years, but if they no longer serve a beneficial purpose in your life, then you are carrying around dead weight. Don't let small minded people hold you back at one of the most critical turning points that could possibly determine the path the rest of your life will follow.

Find YOUR people. Find the ones who make your soul happy, who uplift you, who empower you and encourage you to pursue your biggest dreams. These people who are so good to you will become a necessity in your life, and you will become a necessity in theirs. Dream big, live large, and embrace those who uplift your soul.

3. Spend time with family

Instead of going to eat lunch with your peers after school, go eat with your grandparents or check a younger cousin out from school. Spend time with the ones who have supported you throughout the course of your whole life. Your family will be the people who are there for you during every bad decision and every joyful moment. Spend time getting to know these people instead of wasting time on school mates you won't even think twice about in five years. Family is crucial to your success, and you will be seeing them significantly less when you are off to college. Embrace the free time you have now and utilize it in the best way.

4. Start saving... seriously.

That little minimum wage after school job you have might just be for pocket money and to fill your tank with gas, but I promise you, that meager paycheck will look like a billion dollar cash out to your future college freshman self. Put aside a small percentage of each paycheck because more than likely, you'll develop an addiction to Cook-Out milkshakes in your future. Or you might get your door dinged a few times in that awful college parking situation. Either way, your future self will thank you for thinking of him/her while you were bagging french fries in high school.

5. Begin healthy routines

There is no time like the present to start exercising regularly or committing to eating a veggie every day. Being healthy in college is nearly impossible because fresh produce is expensive and a pain to deal with- and chicken nuggets are oh so yummy. If you can get yourself into a regular, beneficial routine now, you will probably be able to maintain it going into college. The freshman 15 is very real for a lot of people, and the best way to avoid that means taking control of your lifestyle right now.

Take control of your mental health too. College can be detrimental to your self confidence, especially if you are coming from a small high school where everyone knew your name. Meditation and a commitment to positivity can help you survive the rest of high school in one piece, and it can boost your likelihood of success in college.

6. Explore ALL of your options

This one is the obvious one, but it definitely needs to be reiterated. Apply to as many schools as possible, tour as many schools as possible, and apply for every. single. scholarship. Finding the right college for you is like trying on shoes. They have to fit perfectly to be comfortable and work efficiently. You have to be comfortable at the college you choose in order to be successful. Exploring all of the different schools you have access to can also be super fun!!!

Possibly the most crucial point- apply to every scholarship that applies to you. Your parents will thank you. Your future, degree-having self will thank you. Student loans are of the devil. Try to avoid them by getting scholarships and grants.

7. Don't pressure yourself

Everything will fall into place with the right amount of faith and hard work. Stressing out about picking a major, whether you're going to make friends easily, or If going Greek is worth it or not are all things that I personally stressed myself about. I have dealt with anxiety for a long time, and these big changes in my atmosphere led to many anxiety attacks. Don't let the negative thoughts in your head overwhelm you. Stress is not a coping mechanism. What is meant to be will be, and letting yourself become overwhelmed with such trivial issues will be your demise.

8. Stop wishing it away

If I could go back and change one thing about my high school experience, it would be to stop wishing the days away. Don't get me wrong, having eyes for the future is a good characteristic to have. Being ambitious is a beautiful thing, but learn to embrace the present. Live in the now. Stop letting the "what if's" control your life. You are not promised a future at all, so don't let the unsureness of what is to come control your present life. Don't count down the days until graduation; instead, count each day where you felt most happy and strive to make each day like that.

9. Say thank you

There are a lot of people that helped me to get where I am, and I will be eternally grateful for them. Let these important people in your life know that they are appreciated. Whether it's your mom, your best friend, or that guidance counselor that helped you with an important scholarship, say thank you!!! Acknowledging the people that are helping you on your journey is an important part of becoming grown up. Always stay gracious!

10. The best is yet to come!

You haven't even experienced your best day yet. If that doesn't make you happy, I don't know what will. You have a lot to look forward to, so don't let the stress and anxiety of senior year overcome you. The world is big & our futures are bright. Take control of your life and always count on the fact that the best is yet to come!