To A High School Senior

To A High School Senior

from a college freshman,

7
To A High School Senior
Olivia Stone

To a high school senior, from a college freshman,

This going to sound so incredibly cliché, but here it goes, time is going to fly by because you'll be having so much fun. Please, don't wish it away. Don't take any time for granted.For me, my senior year was like any of my other years in high school. I branched out and tried things I never imagined myself doing. I also gained some of my best friends. Before you know it, you'll be turning your tassel and crying at graduation even though you've said since freshman year you wouldn't cry.

Take the time on the first day to let your mom take pictures and document the moment. Make friends with your teachers, yes, even the ones that give you a crap load of homework during homecoming week. Talk to people that you really haven't spoken to since seventh grade.

Go out to eat with you friends before your final school dances, you'll appreciate it, so will they, and the parents will as well.

Branch out and join the school musical just because they needed someone that knew how to line dance. Also, if your director asks you to wear roller skates and a crinoline, do it, you'll get some good laughs.

Go back to the club that you joined sophomore year and take something away from it. Make the memories and learn from it. Make the memories and learn from it.

When you go on your senior trip, make an effort to get along with everyone. It'll make for some interesting stories to tell your grandkids in 50 years. Take in what your tour guide is telling you. You never know when you might need to know that the WW2 memorial was built around an existing fountain.

Go to Prom even if you don't have a date. You might find that you have a blast with your friends and one of your best friends might dress up like McDreamy and ask you.

I'll be the first to tell you, graduation practice will be worst day of senior year. It'll be hot, you'll have to practice standing 1,000 times, but if you're lucky, you'll be on an end and won't be directly under the stage lights. Word of advice: Don't be "that" person that gets sick at practice because you were out the entire night before. If you're able to, after practice go to the elementary and middle schools that you went to and visit your previous teachers. They'll appreciate it and their students get to see what they're working towards.

Take all the pictures you want at graduation, it's your night. Let that teacher you didn't like very much bobby pin your cap, bring extra bobby pins because inevitable you'll be like I was and have to pin at least six other people's. Take a picture with every person that came to see you walk across that stage. Enjoy your moment as you walk across the stage. (I was lucky enough to have received my diploma from someone who's known me since I was little.) Allow the tears to flow when you walk into the gym afterwards. Run and hug all of your friends.

Before you know it, it'll be August and you'll be packing your entire life into totes. You'll think, "how am I going to fit my entire wardrobe into two bins?!" To be honest, I don't know yet because my clothes aren't packed yet. Your mom will begin to hug you a little tighter each night because she knows these days are limited. You'll want to stay in your bed just a few minutes longer each morning because it won't smell like this a college.

Let me be the first to tell you, I am proud of you. You have made it this far and if you want, you can go further. Enjoy your senior year, take more pictures than necessary, and hug everyone tighter.

Much love,

Someone who was in your shoes a short year ago