To The Friends You Bond With Through Grief

We shared our pain together, like a family.

39

When a person unites everyone, you all become good friends. You think to yourself, "I'm glad this person brought these people into my life. They're pretty cool." You make memories and have some laughs here and there. You follow each other on social media and text each other when you want to make plans again. After a while, life gets busy and you don't get to see those people as much so your bond kind of weakens, but not on purpose. You can't help that life has you doing so much all at once.

But what happens when the person who united you all together dies? Strange enough, life sort of pauses, just for a moment. Suddenly, you're not busy anymore. Suddenly, that homework assignment is the least important thing going on in your life. Suddenly, you're calling out of work because showing up doesn't mean much at that moment. It's just all so sudden.

It's incredibly unfortunate when someone dies and all of these people are left behind. But then you're reminded that when everyone is reunited, you celebrate that person's life together. It's no longer mourning about the person any longer being there, but mourning about the memories you had. You're mourning the memories that you wish you could relive one last time and then you feel like nothing's right.

But look what that person left you. They left you with people that share your pain so that you're not alone. You lost one person but gained many more. Of course, it doesn't balance out what you lost but it definitely makes dealing with the grief a hell of a lot easier. You're reminded of how glad you are that that person brought those people into your life. You lose a friend, but you gain a whole new family.

I write this for a special friend that I lost in April. It was devastating and I don't think I could've done it without all of the amazing friends that were also going through his loss. There are no words to describe my immense gratitude and my profound love for these people. We were all there for each other and we still are. This is dedicated to Bladimir Martinez and my beautiful friends that celebrate his life with me.