To Fly or To Run?

To Fly or To Run?

The choice between staying safe, or standing out

54
To Fly or To Run?

This poem was made when inspired by this song I used to listen to called "Hurricane" by Forever in Your Mind, a boy band I used to listen to years ago. My favorite part of the song was the bridge when they sing, "Walking on clouds/Away, way up here together/Not coming down/I ain't coming down/We could stay up here forever."

Forever In Your Mind - Hurricane www.youtube.com

Anyway, I thought the bridge rocked, and in response, I imagined being up in the clouds, skipping and laughing, carefree. I associated being in the sky as the epitome of freedom, with nothing to hold you down, and miles and miles of space and air to fly around in.

At the same time, I had a fear of falling, which made the thought of flying sometimes terrifying because I might fall down. It made the earth seem more stable and comfortable, but also smothering. With all that in mind, I made this poem in the perspective of a hesitant and timid person, with one part of them wishing to do something bold, and the other part of them worrying about what might happen as a result.

Like any other song, it can be interpreted to anything you wish, to any experience you've had in trying something new. In taking risks. In choosing an unconventional path. In choosing whether to fly, or to run.

I look up to the sky
See the planes, racing to the sun
I stand in awe, but I feel so shy
What is it like, rising to fly?

I stood, in the shadows, afraid
Like a snake, hidden in the grasses
Making little sound
But now, to the cries of the masses
I scream out loud,
My feet standing on the ground

Do I fly, to taste the burning sun,
Or do I remain on the earth
Starting to run?
My calling creates a booming sound
What is it now?
To fly or to run?

I know, if I have wings
I'll fly free, but fly alone
On the ground, I'll know my place
But still I'll be, roaming on my own.

The wind comes, and I ask,
Do I sway with the trees?
Or do I rise against the breeze
It might be nothing at all,
Or a chance I have to seize!

Do I go, to fight midair?
Do I bend, to avoid despair?
Oh, why should I even dare?
Because I do! I do really care!

Do I fly, to taste the burning sun,
Or do I remain on the earth,
Starting to run?
My calling creates a booming sound
What is it now?
To fly or to run?

I look up to the sky
What is it like, rising to fly?