What To Do This Summer To Make Use Of Your Time

9 Fun And Productive Things To Do On Your Summer Break This Year

Because we all have had those summers where the days just blur together, between your bed and the couch. Not this time!

26

I remember starting every summer vacation super excited to do anything I want, with no responsibilities and endless amounts of free time. But inevitably, I would let the days go by, not accomplishing much other than reading a book or two or binge-watching a 10-season show on Netflix. Here's a list of things to do that will prevent you from letting your hot summer days waste away.

1. Perfect your morning routine

I've already written about why I believe morning routines are amazing and may change your life. Summer vacation is the perfect time to figure out how to use the a.m. hours to set yourself up for a great day. You might discover that you prefer to work out in the morning rather than at night, or that you really enjoy taking time to make a delicious breakfast. Regardless, working on a morning routine will ensure that you start every day of the summer with a productive, excited mindset, and it'll stop the days from blending together!

2. Clean out your closet and create a wardrobe with only the clothes you love

I'm talking about a total Marie Kondo-Style makeover. Now is a great time to look at all your clothes, shoes, and coats and eliminate the items that you haven't worn in a while. You'll discover what you actually wear, and you'll end up with only your favorite, most comfortable clothes. Trust me, it'll feel amazing when you're done. Donating the rest is a bonus!

3. Take up a new hobby or skill

I once spent about a month in the summer learning how to juggle. I didn't have any real reason to learn it, except to have a sense of accomplishment when I could finally do it. And it paid off. Think of it this way: right now, you have an entire summer at your disposal to completely learn a new skill from scratch or try a hobby you've always thought would be cool. You have no excuse, really.

4. Practice an old hobby

Most of us have those activities or hobbies that we took up when we were younger and drifted apart from over the years. For example, piano, drawing, gardening, tennis, karate, or learning French. Whatever it is, now's your chance to revisit it!

5. Work on your fitness goals

When you're older and you have to sit in traffic and at a desk for most of the day, you're going to wish you spent your summer breaks running around and getting exercise. If you're not a fitness enthusiast, you could try going on a simple daily walk in the park or tossing a ball around with friends. Just make sure you're not spending your entire summer inside on the couch.

6. Learn how to cook

This may be considered a hobby, but cooking is also an essential #LifeSkill for everyone. Start by setting a goal to learn 1-2 basic breakfast, lunch, and dinner recipes with everyday kitchen ingredients.

7. Reach out to friends, old and new

We're all guilty of telling a bunch of friends, "We should totally hang out this summer!" And then it doesn't happen. While you and your friends are sure to have different things going on over the summer, it's still a great time to reach out and set some time to hang out. And it never hurts to ask.

8. Write in a journal

Journaling isn't everyone's thing, but it can be immensely therapeutic and stress-relieving. Next time you're really bored, sit down and write your thoughts out in a notebook. You never know, you just might like being able to connect with your thoughts and feelings in a tangible way! In addition, it can be really fun to go back and read your old journals! You get to relive your past experiences and see things from a different (wiser) perspective.

9. Explore your town and surrounding areas

If an actual road trip or vacation isn't in your budget or your plans, you can always explore the town you call home. There's bound to be parks, strip malls, or streets you haven't visited before. Or take a drive to neighboring towns and explore what they have to offer! You don't have to have a rigid plan. Sometimes it's nice to just lose yourself and wander for a few hours.

So there you have it, nine things you can do today that will enhance your summer experience. And there's plenty, plenty more. You just have to get creative and have fun.