This Is What It's Really Like To Be An Only Child

Many people even say that they wish they were in my place and sometimes I wish I was in theirs.

208

What is it like to be an only child? The stereotype says that we don't know how to share, we are lonely and our parents spoil us rotten. There are stereotyped perks, however, to being an only child as well, like a single room, lots of attention and always getting what you want. But how true are these stereotypes?

In my personal experience, my parents do spoil me because I am all they have and that is why they tend to be overprotective and value me more. Therefore, they try their best to give me the world, which I greatly appreciate. However, I feel that I never felt that lonely because my parents were always asking about me and talking to me.

When I got older and made friends, that was when I felt like I wanted someone closer to my age to spend time with at home. As a result of this, I tried, even more, to make close friends, giving more and being kinder so I could be accepted. I wanted a connection with someone that my friends had with their brothers and sisters.

As I grew up, I began to understand that being alone sometimes is not a big deal and having friends and family that genuinely care about you is more than enough. It is definitely a different experience than growing up with a sibling and I would not be who I am if I had one. Many people even say that they wish they were in my place and sometimes I wish I was in theirs.

The truth is that neither is better than the other. What really matters is who you have around you and if they make you feel cared for. The stereotypes come about because of the way people raise their children, so I don't think it really matters how many siblings you have, but how your parents treat you based on that number.