8 Tips To Make Waking Up In The Morning Oh-So Easier

A few tips on how you can avoid sleeping through your alarm.

30

Spring semester is in full swing, and being in college means struggling to wake up for classes. If you're not a morning person but are taking morning classes this semester, you probably have trouble with getting up on time. Not only is it hard, but it's also hard to simply stay awake and be focused so early in the day. However, there are plenty of ways that you can help yourself not only wake up but also be alert and focused in your morning classes.

1. Make sure to get plenty of sleep.

Sleep

Gregory Pappas / Unsplash

This is one of the obvious points but also the most important. If you're having trouble getting up in the morning, chances are that you're probably not getting much sleep. You always need to make sure that you're getting at least 9 hours of sleep every night. I know, easier said than done, especially if you have tons of homework.

However, when you're in college, it's best not to pull an all-nighter, no matter how tempting it may be. The safest bet is to put the homework down at least an hour before going to bed. It will help you get the rest that you need so that you can avoid falling asleep in class or sleeping through your alarm.

2. Focus on eating food that gives you energy.

Protein

Ellen Auer / Unsplash

You won't always need to drink caffeine in order to wake up in the morning. There are plenty of foods that can give you the same amount of energy. Eating foods such as any type of nut, oatmeal, eggs or avocados can help you wake up the morning. This is because most of these foods have protein inside them or, in the case of avocados, contain good fats that can provide you with the energy you need to start your day. Getting in the habit of eating foods that give you energy can help you avoid struggling to stay awake in the morning.

3. Try drinking tea or coffee.

Coffee

Nathan Dumlao / Unsplash

If you haven't already, having a little caffeine can help clear any initial fog that you have in the morning. It can help you focus better in class while also helping you wake up in the morning. Try drinking coffee, black tea or energy teas which will give you the energy you need. Avoid too much caffeine from energy drinks or sugary caffeinated coffees since these can actually slow you down rather than give you energy.

4. Try going to bed at the same time every night.

Sleep

Kinga Cichewicz / Unsplash

The best way to help yourself wake up early in the morning is to get in the habit of setting yourself a schedule of going to sleep at the same time every night. Planning on sleeping at the same time will help you have a full sleep cycle, and it will help you get in the routine of going to bed early every day. This also goes with waking up at the same time as well every morning.

5. Avoid skipping breakfast.

Breakfast

Rachel Park / Unsplash

One way to give yourself energy throughout the morning is to make sure that you eat a good breakfast! This is something that almost every college student struggles with, especially if you're busy in the morning. However, eating a big breakfast can help give your body the energy it needs to start the day. Your body needs energy in the morning to metabolize and use throughout the rest of the day, which is why it's so important to make sure you're not skipping breakfast before you head out to your classes.

6. Consider taking a cold shower.

Shower

If you need to wake up in the morning, one thing that can help is taking a cold shower. The water doesn't have to be cold the whole time you're showering. You can take a cold shower for 5 minutes and then switch to warm water in order to wake yourself up quickly in the morning. It's a good way to ensure that you wake up and aren't starting to feel like you might doze off as soon as you finish getting dressed.

7. Wake up a few minutes earlier than planned.

Waking Up

Benjamin Voros / Unsplash

If you know that you'll have a hard time getting up right away in the morning, one way that you help yourself not sleep through your alarm is getting in the habit of waking up a little earlier than you originally planned. It will give yourself enough time to wake up and get ready to go to class. You don't need to wake up 20 minutes before you planned but at least 5 minutes is a good start for allowing yourself enough time to wake up before you need to start getting ready.

8. Try to get yourself moving in the morning.

Excercise

acob Postuma / Unsplash

One great way of giving yourself some energy in the morning is by getting yourself to move around in the morning. If you stay still for too long, you could end up dozing off or run the risk of falling back to sleep. Moving around by walking around your house or going for a jog before class can help give you a little bit of energy to start your day.

If you find yourself struggling to get up in the morning, try any of these tips so that you can wake up feeling more energetic. Getting up early for classes can be hard. However, there are plenty of ways that you can get up more easily in the morning. You don't have to be a morning person in order to have a lot of energy in the morning! If you follow these tips, you'll be able to wake up on time without finding yourself late to class.