10 Small Ways To Reduce Your Plastic Waste Today

Reduce, reuse, recycle.

21

Did you know that at least 2.4 million tons of plastic waste reside in landfills and our oceans? I learned this and so much more after taking a biology class recently. I was completely brought to awareness (and before, totally unaware) on the negative effect of plastic waste on the environment. So, I figured why not sprinkle some tips on how to reduce plastic waste so you can enjoy your trip to the beach without seeing plastic showered in the sand.

1. Get a reusable bag/sack for groceries/produce.

2. Reuse containers for leftovers, storage, etc.

3. Recycle plastic bottles, plastic bags, and other plastic-ware.

4. Instead of disposable razors, use razors that have replaceable blades.

5. Use a refillable bottle to fill with water, juice, and soda, rather than using plastic bottled drinks.

6. Rather than purchasing bagged fruit, purchase loose fruit in bulk. (This could also help you save a few bucks.)

7. If available, shop at your local farmers market or deli. Chances are that they use far less plastic packaging, and the food will be much healthier for you.

8. Grow your own food at home! Skip worrying about plastic completely.

9. Make your own recycle bin at home.

10. Use incense or candles rather than plastic air fresheners. (They smell much better, in my opinion.)

There are so many websites out there that'll give you tips on how to reduce plastic. Even Twitter and Facebook have pages/articles to help those gain awareness. It's so so important to keep up to date with what's going on in our environment and in our oceans so we can do what we can to keep us, our habitats, and our wildlife healthy.