8 Must-Read Tips To Get A 4.0 This Semester

Advice from high school and college on how to apply yourself as a student.

98
OCM

1. Apply yourself

This is a pretty generic tip. However, I believe most people aren’t reaching their potential. Our society promotes laziness and selfishness. Take the time to apply yourself to your academics and constantly push your limits.

2. Set goals

Whether you physically set goals or think them through, this is important. Know what you want ahead of time. If you expect to get a 2.0 you’ll probably end up getting that. If you set your goals high and are constantly reminded of them, you are more likely to reach them.

3. Take things one step at a time

In college especially, it is easy to get overwhelmed by everything there is to do. I suggest taking it one step at a time. Focus on the things that are due first. If you have time to work ahead, that’s great. But if you have a long to-do list, prioritize what needs done now and what can be put off for later. The key to this tip is to actually do what’s on your list.

4. Use a planner

I’m the type of person who loves the old fashion pen and paper. I’ve also noticed that most people who keep a physical planner tend to do better in school. Whether you keep track of things on your phone or on paper, do it religiously. Write down everything even if you think you will remember it. The simple act of going over something by writing or recording it will help the memory.

5. Know your style as a student

Everyone learns differently. If you know you procrastinate, push yourself to get things done sooner. If you need to have good notes to study for a test, then make sure you’re thorough in your note taking. Whatever your style of learning is, use that to your advantage.

6. Create good relationships with your teachers/professors

This may seem extra and unneccesary, however creating good relationships makes the whole experience better. Often professors/teachers who know you want to help you out however they can. If they know your style as a student they can give you advice for how to do well in their class.

7. Speak up in class

Being active in the classroom has many benefits. It helps the teacher get to know you (see tip 6). It also helps you be engaged and remember class material, especially for those 8 am's. Teachers/professors are more apt to helping you if you are active and take an interest in their class.

8. Always do your best work

No matter what you do, do it to your best ability. Don't short cut yourself because you're procrastinating or being lazy. Whatever you do, do it well and do it well the first time.