Tips for Writer's Block

Tips for Writer's Block

For those times when the words won't come.

6
Tips for Writer's Block
Pexels Photo

Sometimes I stare a blank Microsoft Word document for hours, trying to find something to write. Sometimes the words that feel so simple and natural as they pour from my fingertips get mixed up and lost in my mind. There isn’t always an easy answer when it comes to releasing creativity, and there’s no telling as to when you are going to reach an inevitable roadblock in the process. For times like these, there are a few things you can try to get yourself back on track.

Go back to the basics. Sometimes it helps to put pen or pencil to paper and write the old fashioned way. Even if you wind up scribbling doodles for a few hours, you may be able to dislodge some thoughts from your chaotic mind. A computer is a wonderful tool, but it can be distracting. It’s easy to wander from that empty Word Document and lose yourself in the depths of the Internet. It can help to get as far away from that as possible.

If that doesn’t work, you can venture out from the words altogether and take solace in a place that gives you inspiration. Go to the beach, climb to the top of a mountain, or go for a drive on back roads in the countryside. Your creativity comes from within, but it also comes from your surroundings. It’s nice to get in touch with the things that bring you joy and clear your mind. You may see a sunset or a piece of beautiful nature that gives you vision.

It can be cathartic to put music on in the background as you try to find your flow. Musicians are writers themselves, and getting lost in the rhythm and lyrics can bring some stimulation to your tired soul. Even if you find the lyrics distracting, you can play classical music and write the lyrics to your own story as you go. Sometimes sitting in silence is the worst thing you can do when your mind tends to drift off without direction.

I also find that reading helps me to get into the right frame of mind. There’s a whole world of stories, articles, poems, and nonfiction always at your fingertips to help you structure what you want to say, or give you an idea of your own. I wouldn’t suggest plagiarizing someone else’s work, but my greatest inspirations are the writers who made me want to create stories of my own. I enjoy falling back into the worlds that made me love words, and it helps to remind me of why I do it.

If all else fails, take a break. Go get a cup of coffee or a bite to eat, and shake it off. Every writer gets blocks, and you’ll get through this one just like the last one and the next. As frustrating as it can be, you can’t always run at 100% efficiency. You may be better tomorrow. Good luck out there.