6 Tips For How To Travel The World When You're A Broke College Student
Travel

You just have to buy from the right places!

100

My best friend and I made the decision to travel to London and Amsterdam during our 2018 winter break.

As most of you know... Europe isn't cheap. Especially when you're a broke college student who is struggling to make ends meet.

Before I get into the logistics, I want to acknowledge that we did get some help from our parents, while we did foot most of the bill all on our own, we did not pay for its entirety. Both of us are extremely blessed and grateful to have parents willing to do that for us because we know that many people out there do not.

Anyway with lodging, airfare, and travel (round trip to both countries, including transportation to the airport and a couple of prepaid event tickets) our trip has cost each of us around $800. That may not sound cheap to you, and it doesn't to me either. But for comparison, the average four-day international trip cost Americans just over $3,500. That's per person.

Here's how we did it:

1. Student airfare discounts

Most people probably don't know this, but there are a lot of student airfare sites. My friend and I used Student Universe to find our tickets and book transportation. Students can save around 30 percent on airfare tickets.

2. The time you book your ticket matters

Domestically, it's cheaper to fly Tuesday, Wednesday or Saturday. While, in Europe, it's cheaper to fly over the weekend (x).

My friend and I are also traveling around Christmas time, a known time when airlines up their ticket prices. However, we booked our flights back in June. Now, those tickets are $1,700 plus and we saved over $1,200. So, if you're a student when you decide to book your flight matters, a lot.

3. Hostels, hostels, hostels!

Hostels are the dorms of the hotel world. They can cost as low as $5 a night! With these, you usually share a room with 6-10, or more, people. The more expensive, the more private.

If you want to travel on a budget, you have to get over wanting your own private little cocoon. Sharing a space with other people is the best way to your price low.

If you're worried about being with people you don't know, try seeing if you can travel with a bigger group of friends!

4.  Think like a local, not a tourist

A local is going to know how to have a fun time in their city without breaking the bank. While touristy things can be really fun, (and yes you should still do them if you really want too) you have an entire city to see! The best places to visit are usually little hidden gems.

A lot of cities have an abundance of free things to do, you just have to seek them out! Parks and museums are your best bet.

5. Don't check any bags

Checking bags is expensive, a hassle and usually not required. Most airlines allow up to two free carry-on's, so pack light and don't be afraid to re-wear an outfit or two!

6. Cook your meals when you can

While food is a necessary part of an overseas, cultural experience...it adds up. Most hostels come with a shared cooking space, so cook at least one meal a day there and you'll be surprised how much you save!

I hope these tips helped, and if you do decide to travel abroad make sure you stay safe. Most importantly, have fun!