Tips For Finals

6 Study Skills You Can't Pass Without

For real students, from real students.

90
6 Study Skills You Can't Pass Without

Studying can be difficult for students, especially if they were not taught effective study skills in their primary and high schools. Before viewing this article, I would suggest trying to figure out what kind of learner you are. For example, are you an auditory, or visual learner? There are dozens of tests online to figure out which skills may work best for you.

The most important thing to remember is that even though general tips can work, studying is something that is personalized. Not everything will work for the same person. For example, I can do homework with music or Netflix on in the background, but I definitely cannot do that when I am studying for a big exam.

Remember that no one grade is worth sacrificing your mental health. Please take care of yourself!

Pay Attention In Class

I know it sounds really obvious, but I always feel like paying attention in class helps me retain the information better. Then, when I go to study, it feels more like a review than learning the information all over again.

Talk It Out

"I like to make study guides of everything and highlight a lot of it. Or it also helps to talk it through to my roommates so they understand it. Since I'm a business major and they aren't, I have to really explain it to the last detail for them to get it which helps me!" - Danielle Egle

Go to a Quiet Place

"A study tip from me would be the library 3rd floor. It's all quiet spaces up there and I always can study without interruptions." - Teliea Clarke

Figure Out What’s Best For You

"What's best for you? With or without music, by yourself vs in a group, reading notes or watching videos on the material, and then stick to it. Do fifteen-minute intervals of pure homework and then a three-minute break for time on your phone and then restart." - Sophia Scarpone

Study in Advance

"Make sure to start studying days in advance -- last minute cramming really doesn't work-- and get a full night of sleep the night before a big exam since you won't be able to remember things/function as well if you stayed up all night." - Josie Messina

Organize Organize Organize!

Another important thing to remember is that having a social life and successful academic career is totally doable! Organization is key when it comes to balancing both. I use the calendar on my phone and I also use a calendar in real life to make sure I am on top of my assignments. I put my calendar somewhere that I HAVE to look at every morning. (So it's on top of my mirror, DUH) This way, it forces me to look at it!