Tips for Cosplaying

Tips For First Time Cosplayers

Just have fun

46
Tips For First Time Cosplayers

Cosplaying for the first time can be daunting and overwhelming. Some people buy theirs off of Ebay, Amazon, or AliExpress, some people make their own from scratch, or you can do a little of both. No matter how you decide to get your cosplay, never forget that it's supposed to be fun. Here are a few tips to make cosplaying easier.

There is no shame in buying your cosplay

As long as you don't try to claim that you made it, I don't see the harm in buying it. However make sure you know your measurements because a medium in one country might have different measurements in another.

Costesting

Costesting is when you wear part or your entire cosplay before going to the convention or where ever you're planning to go. I especially recommend doing this with, wigs to make sure they're comfortable and don't fall back, and shoes so they're broken in. This also gives you to chance to make sure everything fits comfortably and you could wear it all day.

Cosplay Characters You Like

It doesn't matter if they're popular or not, as long as you like the character that's all that matters. Cosplaying a character you like is more fun and enjoyable. Just because everyone else is cosplaying someone from Attack on Titan but you haven't seen it, doesn't mean you need to as well. On that note, you should still cosplay a character even if it's super popular. Don't worry if no one will know who you're character is or not standing out, just focus on having fun.

Cosplay is Not a Competition

I notice at conventions there are two types of cosplayers who are cosplaying the same person; they'll be friendly with one another or they'll glare at each other from across the room. I cosplayed as Umaru-Chan at the last convention I was at and every other Umaru-Chan I saw and I where friendly and complemented each other. Whereas at my first convention I cosplayed Mitsuha and I was getting a death glare someone cosplaying the same character. Unless you're in a cosplay competition, it's not a competition

Don't Worry About What You Look Like

Cosplaying is about being whoever you want. Just because the character you like is a different body type, height, skin color, gender, etc. doesn't mean you shouldn't cosplay them. You can cosplay whomever you want regardless of what you or they look like. Cosplay is for everyone!

Go to Cosplay Gatherings

There are cosplay gatherings at conventions where, just as it sounds, cosplayers from the same fandom/series get together is take photos. This is a great chance for you to meet people who like the same series as you.

At the end of the day, cosplaying is supposed to be fun. Don't worry about what everyone else is thinking or saying. Just enjoy yourself and have fun at the convention.