16 Tips For First Time Concert Or Pit Goers

Welcome to one of the best experiences of your life

35
Maeghan Siliezar

Going to a concert is something I strongly believe every single individual should experience at least once in their lifetime. But with that being said, I know that sometimes, concerts can be a bit intimidating, especially in the pit... but here's a list of some tips that I feel could help any first timers prepare for the show and make the most of it.

1. Get your tickets as early in advance as possible 

With any general admission or pit tickets, you will get the CHEAPEST amount available if you buy tickets them as soon as they are released. Follow the artist or band you wanna see on all social media & get that presale code! Be prepared and ready to go on the presale date! Putting that off can result in the tickets you want selling out or even worse.. those tickets becoming resale & going for $100+ more.

2. Prepare for the show setlist in advance

Setlist.fm

To be honest, if you want to prep with the setlist and listen to the songs that are going to be played, it isn't that hard to find it online. Scroll through the artists tagged photos on instagram or google and you're likely to come across it in either.

3. If you want merch, try to see if you can get it online prior 

I find it is almost always easy to find a picture or two of the merch booth on Twitter to be honest. Just go search "___whatever band or artist name___ merch" 9 times out of 10 you'll find something in there! So its also helpful to be able to plan how much money you need to bring as well as even planning your outfit if you're wanting to wear the merch shirt there!

4. You can dress cutely, but make sure it's comfy cute 

I'm not going to be like those that say you shouldn't even try to look cute because to be brutally honest, thats a bunch of bull. ITS A CONCERT... you're going to take AT LEAST one picture of you (or you & your friend(s)) and you're going to want to look cute. HOWEVER, if you're in the pit or the lawn or a small indoor venue (house of blues, etc) YOU DO NOT NEED TO BE IN HEELED SHOES. You're going to regret wearing your heeled booties or whatever after hours of standing. So get that cute look... but please also be comfortable. I vouch for jeans/shorts and vans/converse. & you can't go wrong in a merch shirt!

5. Get there early and wait in line 

I know it can be super annoying but if you want front row, you're going to have to work for it and earn it. SOOO.. that means you've got to get there a couple to few hours early and sit down in some hot weather and wait.

6. Don't be afraid to go alone 

It's happened to all of us. Attending a show by yourself may seem daunting, scary, and loser labeling... But let me tell you, it's not true and won't happen. To be really honest, you're more than likely not going to be the only one on your own at the show... so take the opportunity to make new friends.

7. Eat a good size meal prior 

Let's all be real right now... the food options at shows are WAY overpriced. & if you're in the pit or even at a show on a hot day, you are going to be using a lot of energy and you don't need to pass out at a show. So PLEASE make sure you don't go to a show before eating or drinking beforehand.

8. If you go with a friend, take turns to go get merch or drinks 

If you are in the pit or even in the lawn, if there is only 2 of you, take turns going to get merch or drinks. There is nothing worse than getting that PERFECT spot and then losing it. So with taking turns, you won't lose that to die for spot.

9. Make friends around you 

Don't be afraid to talk to the people around you. I know it's easier said than done & can be nerve racking but honestly, the worst thing that can happen is they don't talk much back. & if they don't, just find someone else! But if you're a loner than by all means, own it!

10. Getting pushed around IS GOING TO HAPPEN 

It can be so annoying to be pushed by people... I know, trust me. But it's going to happen whether we like it or not. Whether its people pushing to try to get closer or pushing through to find their friends, it happens. If you are needing to push through people to find your friend, there is nothing wrong with verbalizing and saying "excuse me." That's much preferred over just pushing through. & try your best to remember that half the time, when someone pushes you from behind, it's probably because the person behind them pushed them... so don't look to start a fight.

11. To my fellow glasses wearers, ditch the specs if possible or wear contacts 

It's going to rough, but if you can do it, you will not regret it. As mentioned above, crowds get super rowdy, and when you throw in all the crowd surfers who will inevitably kick you or fall on you, there are plenty of chances for your glasses to fall off or be broken. Trust me, I've had two separate pairs of prescription glasses broken beyond repair at shows, and i've seen it happen plenty of other times as well. One semi-blurry night is far better than having to pay for glasses repairs or replacements in the future. Trust me on this one, guys.

12. Don't overdo it... KNOW YOUR LIMIT

Being up in the pit, especially right in the front of it is an incredible experience. BUT, it also can take a lot out of you. Do not be embarrassed if you feel like you need out because things are too much to handle... no one is going to judge you if you need to make your way out to further back in the pit or the side or even outside of the pit. The whole point of a concert is ultimately is enjoying the show and if you aren't enjoying it anymore, put yourself where you will!

13. "Moshing" in the pit is still a thing, but also doesn't have to be 

This truly depends on the concert type and genre. So be mindful of that when you are choosing to be in the pit at a concert. BUT with that being said, to those that WANT to mosh... you should also be mindful of what concert you're attending. There truly is such thing as concerts that moshing doesn't even make sense or go with the type of music. This may be common sense to most but I personally have been in the pit for a band that played "Emo/Alternative" chill music and a guy kept trying to mosh... Just don't dude.

14. It doesn't matter what anyone says, take as many videos and pictures as you want 

Yes there will be people that may make comments about videoing or taking pictures during the whole thing... screw em. Pictures and videos are worth a thousand words! The ONLY time I would say you should put your phone down and not take videos or pictures is if the performer themselves asks for a time for everyone to put them away and to be in the moment... & yes, that DOES happen.

15. Don't be afraid to let loose; jump, dance, sing along, etc. 

No one is judging your terrible singing or dancing so don't be afraid to let loose. & IF someone is watching you, embrace it and show your confidence. Shout out your favorite lyrics. You HAVE to enjoy yourself. But also be mindful of the people around you... don't dance where you're going to hit people?

16. Embrace the rush of being in the presence of your favorite artists 

There are not many things in this world that can beat the feeling of being in the same venue or so close (if you're in the pit) to someone you look up to or listen to everyday. That rush when the lights go down and the music starts is unlike anything. Take it all in. Every moment of it!