Tips for Finals Week

Tips for Finals Week

Tips and reminders for students as finals week approaches

14
Tips for Finals Week

As the dreaded finals week approaches, remember to take care of yourself, study well, and enjoy life outside of school before we all leave for break. Here are a few tips and reminders I use to help you balance it all.

Study in Pieces

mandl.edu

"Cramming" may have worked in high school but it won't work in college. Studies have shown that students remember information better when they take breaks between studying. So grab some lunch, watch an episode or two of your favorite show, or take a walk and get some fresh air.

Change Locations Between Studying

obe.wisc.edu

Some people find it helpful to change locations and test what they learn. This helps make sure that you are really remembering the information and won't be distracted by a change in setting.

Get Some Sleep

cdn.technologynetworks.com

While it may feel like there isn't enough time in the day to get all that studying done, staying up until 3 A.M. trying to do it all won't help. Your brain needs sleep to function so there isn't much of a point trying to study that late in the day anyways. Sleep is also a good way to take a break from studying.

Make Studying Fun

media.playstation.com

Get a group of friends together and make a jeopardy game or cup pong where you have to correctly answer a question before you can move the cup. Making studying fun makes you more likely to want to study, but also makes remembering the information easier.

Don't Forget to Spend Time with Friends and/or Family

javatimescaffe.podbean.com

The constant studying can make these last few weeks feel pretty lonely. Don't forget to watch a movie with your roommates, call your mom, or grab a coffee with an old friend to relieve some of the stress.

Know You're Doing the Best You Can

i.imgflip.com

Whether you get the grades you were hoping for or felt like the grades underrepresented your work, be proud of the work you put in and remember that you did the best you could. You made it through the semester and that's something to celebrate.

Finals can be stressful but we are almost to the end. Work hard and take care of yourself. Good luck on finals!