5 Tips For Excelling In Your Group Projects

It's important to remember that there is a way to excel in group projects.

12

We all have group project horror stories, but it's important to remember that there is a way to excel in group projects. Here are 5 tips to help you get through your group project smoothly.

1. Take The Contract Seriously 

Okay, I know it can be lame because contracts are super repetitive and we all like to assume that everyone is a good human. It's very important that you do NOT assume everyone in your group is going to respond on time and do their part. By not taking the contract seriously you let those types of people think their responsibilities to the group aren't serious. Talk through the contract and take it seriously.

2. Communicate

It seems pretty standard to let your group members know if you're going to be late, or if you're not going to class, or if something is holding you up on getting your work in - but again, you can't assume people are going to be considerate and communicate their absences with you. Be sure to make communication a large component in your contract.

3. Meet Frequently

It can be complicated and difficult getting a number of students to find time to meet, but it is vital to getting a good grade on your group project. Don't only meet at the last minute, or when the project is immediately assigned, meet often and that way you can get the project done little by little and do it together.

4. Assign Roles

Just as a business works as a system, your group project does too. Not everyone has the same skills, so it's important to utilize one another's strengths. The best way to do that is by assigning roles, and staying to them. This way everyone is contributing and the project is getting done in a cohesive way. It's smart to include the assigned roles in your group contract.

5. Socialize

Make a point to get to know your group members. It's harder to disappoint or bail on people that treat you like a friend than it is to complete strangers. And besides, I've met one of closest friends through a group project. Socializing with your members can make your project more fun, and help you get done sooner.