My Freshman Year Was Hard, But Yours Doesn't Have To Be

Four tips on how to make your first year in college the best yet.

42
.

1. Pace yourself

I did not have the easiest freshman year. I struggled to adjust from the semester to quarter system and took too many challenging classes at once (Calculus and Econ are not my forte). For this reason, I suggest that student take classes in subjects that they find to be their strength. I'm not encouraging you to shy away from a challenge, but instead to be smart about the classes you take. Starting your first year in college can already be challenging, so save some of those harder classes for the next semesters/ quarters if possible.

2. Be kind to yourself and others

Everyone is feeling nervous and is eager to make friends. Make sure to be kind and welcoming to others no matter what. Do not neglect yourself either! Be kind with the words and thoughts you think and say about yourself. Pump yourself up and be your own hype man. Practice self-care. It is not dumb to stay in one night (or multiple) because you need to rest or be alone. YOUR MENTAL AND PHYSICAL HEALTH IS NUMBER 1.

3. Be prepared

Failing to prepare is preparing to fail! Having the best backpack, right notebooks, and all the books you need is so important for a successful year. One of my favorite backpacks is this one by Frankie Cameron. It is made out of genuine leather and fits my laptop, books, and water bottle. It has a zip out washable liner, so if you ever spill something in the bag (which I do all the time), you can just zip it out and wash it. It is so cute and will last you throughout your college career and beyond. Make sure you have all your books rented and all notebooks ready to go before the first week of school. This will make the first week go much more smoothly.

4. Enjoy the ride

This is the biggest piece of advice my mom gave me when she dropped me off on campus. She even got me a painting that said "Enjoy the Ride" that hung above my bed. This painting reminded me of how quickly time passes and how crucial it is to live in the moment. The first year of college can be difficult, but it is also wonderful and before you know it, it will be over. So, enjoy the ride!