8 Tips For Your First Time On A  Plane

To The First-Time Flyer, YOU'RE NOT GOING TO DIE And 8 Other Things You Should Know

Your chances of dying in a plane crash are roughly one in 5 million, but you WILL get charged for overweight baggage.

122
Universal Pictures

With summer vacation wrapping up, a lot of students are finishing their last-minute trips, and many of them are likely flying. Flying is the most convenient way to travel since it saves a lot of time when compared to driving, and it can make getting to your destination a lot faster! However, there is a lot involved in flying that people who have never flown before don't know about. Here are eight tips you should consider if you're a first-time flyer.

1. Check how much your luggage weighs.

Michał Parzuchowski / Unsplash

You need to make sure that your luggage does not weigh too much! You'll be charged if your bags weigh more than 50 pounds. Consider packing as light as you can, and avoid using a suitcase that's too heavy. Also, one thing that you can do is try using your bathroom scale and weighing your luggage beforehand if you feel worried it'll weigh too much. You definitely don't want to have to pay extra for something that has an easy solution!

2. Consider bringing food on the plane.

Anastasia Zhenina / Unsplash

Food on flights is always expensive, and on long flights, it becomes impossible to go without eating. Most airlines will allow you to bring food on the plane, and you can buy snacks or meals from some of the restaurants in the airport beforehand and pack them into your carry-on.

3. Bring gum.

Marvin Meyer / Unsplash

Flying at a high altitude can make your ears pop, which can be both annoying and make it hard to hear anything. Try bringing gum to chew on the plane to help with your ears. Trust me, you'll thank me later.

4. Give yourself enough time to check in.

airbus777/ Flickr

A lot of people who fly for the first time don't realize how much time it takes to get onto the plane or terminal. You not only have to check-in luggage, but you also have to go through TSA and search for the right terminal, which can take up a lot of time! You should give yourself at least two hours before your take-off time so that you don't end up missing your flight.

5. Choose a good seat when you book your flight.

Chris Brignola / Unsplash

Picking the best seat is important since you do not want to end up uncomfortable during your flight. The night before, you can actually check through your computer where your seat is, and if you're flying with someone else, you can make arrangements to make sure you're sitting together. However, if you forget to do this and find yourself sitting in a seat you don't want on the plane, you can try to ask others around you if they would like to trade spots with you. It won't guarantee you a better spot, but there are times when the person you ask will be nice and trade spots with you.

6. Dress comfortably.

Sofia Sforza / Unsplash

Many people don't realize that in most planes, the air conditioning is all the way up. So it's best that you dress in layers if you're going on a plane. Also, try to dress comfortably, especially if you're going to be on a long flight. You don't need to be dressed up when going on a plane, and you'll notice when you board that a lot of people will be dressed casually.

7. Make sure to bring a pillow and a sleeping mask.

Jürg Gutknecht / Unsplash

If you're going on a long flight or a flight early in the morning, consider taking a pillow and a sleeping mask. The seats don't recline all the way down unless you're flying first class, which is why a neck pillow is the way to go. Bring a sleeping mask since there will be lights on in the plane which makes it hard to snooze.

8. Bring plenty of things to entertain you.

Erin Hervey / Unsplash

Lastly, make sure you bring something that will keep you entertained on the plane. Not all planes include a TV screen that displays movies, so it's important to bring something that will keep you busy. I recommend either bringing headphones to play music, a book, laptop, or an iPad to keep you busy during the flight. Just make sure with electronics that you keep them on airplane mode during the flight since it can interfere with the signal.

If you find yourself flying anytime this year for the first time, consider these tips before taking your flight. Flying can be extremely convenient, and it can be a lot of fun if you haven't flown before! If it's your first time flying, I recommend you get a window seat so that you can watch the view of taking off and seeing the whole world underneath you.