Why #TimesUp Matters To Me

Why #TimesUp Matters To Me

The truth matters. Equality matters. The truth has power. Never, ever turn a cheek to the truth and ignore it.

358
Why #TimesUp Matters To Me

If you have seen the news lately or tuned into the 75th Golden Globes, you have probably heard of the Times Up movement. The movement comes from the recent #MeToo movement with women and men standing up against sexual harassment, unequal pay and anything that makes women less or inferior to men.

Recently, I've heard a lot of criticism over the #MeToo and Times Up movement. Why does it matter? Why is everyone suddenly coming forward with accusations of sexual harassment? I understand people may be tired of hearing about all the sexual harassment cases and women standing up against being treated unequally to men. "It'll never change, so why bother?" I heard. Well, here's why Times Up matters to me.

The truth matters. Equality matters. The truth has power. Never, ever turn a cheek to the truth and ignore it. As someone who is studying journalism and wants to become a journalist, I believe the truth is very powerful and deserves to be told. I began studying journalism because I want to share the truth and share the stories of people to the world. If it has taken someone ten years, to tell the truth, it is still the truth and deserves to be told. As a woman in 2018 who wants to make it in the professional journalism world, I want to know my hard work qualifies me to earn the same amount as a male co-worker. As a woman, I am just as equal as a man.

Even working a fast food job at college and summers between college, I have experienced a male equal to me or who had worked at the place much less time, earn more than me and get better hours and treatment. This is not okay. Women all over the world and in every workplace deserve equality.

So, time's up! No more women being less than men. A woman can do anything a man can do. Things can change. Things will change. Be a part of moving the world forward. Tell your truth. Tell your truth loud. The truth has power and deserves to be told, no matter what.