8 Times 'Gilmore Girls' Made Me Cry But I Kept Watching, Tears Rolling Down My Face

Most of the times I laughed but on other occasions... tears were impossible to fight back.

115
The WB

About four years ago, I found myself struggling to find my next Netflix binge. After scrolling for what seemed like forever, I ended up caving into one of the “Because you watched” suggestions. It was in that moment that I fell in love with my all time favorite show.

I came to know Lorelei, Rory and all of the other faces that make up the quirky, beautiful, fun, little town that we know as Stars Hollow. I immediately wanted to find my own “Luke’s,” enter a dance marathon, and gossip with Miss Patti and Babette. I had the sudden urge to instate Friday night dinners, visit the Dragon Fly and join the Life and Death Brigade.

I can shamelessly say that I have rewatched the entire series 10+ times. Each time through, my love of this fictional town and its people grows even deeper.

Over the course of seven seasons (plus the four episodes of “A Year in the Life”), as I watched, I wished it would never end.

Naturally, I couldn’t help but look back on some of the moments that made this series so great. This show almost always prompted an emotional reaction from me, mostly happy but sometimes sad.

Thus, these are eight times the original "Gilmore Girls" made me cry.

1. Lorelai's graduation from community college

I cried because Lorelei was broken hearted that Rory didn't show up. I also cried because of the guilt that Rory felt for not making it back in time for the ceremony. I cried because Emily was showing signs that she was actually proud of her daughter. Lorelei always wanted her mother's approval and this was one of the few moments where she got it.

2. When Rory graduated from Chilton

In her high school graduation, Rory credited her success to books, her grandparents and of course her mother. This speech truly paid tribute to the special bond between herself and her very best friend. Not only did all of her friends and family cry but I did too.

3. When Dean broke Rory's heart

Dean was never my number one pick for Rory, so seeing him bring her to tears was so upsetting. To put the icing on the cake the poor girl had to be upset while Kirk made his extremely, obnoxious victory lap at the dance marathon.

4. When Lorelei gave Luke the ultimatum

I know I'm not alone when I say that I was rooting for these two. Not only was I upset because their relationship was ending but I was even more upset because Luke was willing to just let it end right there.

5. When Luke tried to save things

Not too long after the breaking of the engagement, Luke showed up at Lorelei's house wanting to elope. This moment was a moment of redemption for Luke. As he put his feelings out there on the line, Lorelei admitted to sleeping with Rory's father during the split.

Not only did Luke's heart fall to pieces but so did mine.

6. When Logan proposed to Rory

I was so extremely excited when Logan decided he wanted to marry Rory. Logan was always my favorite, so naturally, I was so looking forward to this wedding. However, Rory was not. She ended up declining and boy was that a letdown.

7. When Lorelei sang karaoke

Lorelei singing "I Will Always Love You" was easily one of my favorite karaoke performances of all time. I think Luke would have to agree, because when he saw and heard he too looked like he too could begin sobbing.

8. Rory's going away party

Nothing was more beautiful than watching the town come together one last time before Rory hit the campaign trail for her first job out of Yale. Luke stayed up and worked tirelessly to make this happen. It was a true testament to his love for Rory and Lorelei. This was absolutely the best way to end this series.